Friday, August 08, 2014
Scout Project Progressing!
Man, this thing looks great! Chris E., eat your heart out! Here's where I am now:
• Browning BLR (not a sponsor) Take-Down in .223. 5-shot magazines (think I might have said 4 on the podcast...)
• MPI Stocks (not a sponsor) fiberglass stock
• Burris 2-7X Scout (sponsor!) mounted on Browning Scout Rail. Vortex low scope mounts (not a sponsor)...yes, you can still work the variable power ring! I'm still pondering the higher magnification...my Ruger GUNSITE Scout has one of the fixed 2.75s on it...I've shot the Leupold 1.5-4X Scout and liked it at the 4X magnification. I'm going to have to figure it out on the range, I think
• Andy's Leather (not a sponsor but a very good friend!) Rhodesian sling with Uncle Mike's sling swivels (not a sponsor). The "Rhodesian" part of the sling is fitted to me now, but I've got to adjust the overall length.
• Pachmayr (not a sponsor) Decelerator recoil pad
• Ricochet Roy (not a sponsor) leather wrap for lever
Here it is taken down:
Waiting for BUIS from Skinner Sights (not a sponsor), and I'll probably have to add a newer, higher front signs (from Brownell's or MidwayUSA (Midway is a sponsor, but I don't get a special discount), no doubt). I found 2 sanely priced magazines at Midway. I ordered 2 more from another outlet and got magazines for the 22-250...sigh.
I'll fit the Negrini case (not a sponsor, but Steve Lamboy is another old friend) over the weekend...DARN, these are nice case! The absolute very best gun cases I've ever used. This stuff will spoil you.
Finally ready to take it to the range...suspect an action job will follow, but I want to shoot it a little bit before. BTW, can anybody explain to me what on EARTH Browning was thinking when they left the sharp edges on this gun? Every single edge on this gun will cut you! It's crazy, and there's no point to it. Yeah, I get that Miroku is one heck of an arms' manufacturing plant and can hold incredible tolerances, but for guns you actually plan to shoot rounded, smooth, not razor sharp is A GOOD THING!