Wednesday, June 09, 2010

God Knows I Try to Keep Up...


But I get to working and the whole industry jumps into a game of musical chairs. BTW, the above ad is from AAC's blog.

So, quickly, Magnum Research has been acquired by Kahr Arms (via a press release quoted in the Firearm Blog):
Kahr Arms, the well known American based producer of high quality compact pistols has announced its recent purchase of Minnesota-based firearms manufacturer, Magnum Research, Inc.®, maker of the Desert Eagle® Pistol.
Kahr Arms takes pride in its ability to offer customers a selection of unique niche-type firearms, such as the world famous “Tommy Gun” and Auto-Ordnance line of M1 .30 caliber carbines. The addition of Magnum Research, Inc.® products to the Kahr Arms family will provide Kahr Arms and Auto-Ordnance customers another unique line of firearms to choose from.
Magnum Research, Inc.® was founded in 1979 and was responsible for the design and the development of the Desert Eagle® Pistol. The firearms in its current product lineup include the Desert Eagle® Pistol (available in .50 AE, .44 Magnum, or .357 Magnum), Baby Desert Eagle® “Fast Action” Pistol (9mm, .40 S&W), Desert Eagle 1911, Micro Desert Eagle™ Pistol (.380 ACP), Magnum’s BFR (Revolvers in .44 Magnum, .45 LC/.410 or .45/70), Mountain Eagle™ MAGNUM LITE® Rifle (.22/250, .223, .30-06, .280 and 7mm) and MAGNUM LITE® Rifle (.22LR, .22 WMR or .17 Mach-2).
Okay-dokey...makes some sort of sense. Magnum Research could definitely use some of Kahr's financial juice. Meanwhile. Taurus is working on a .380 revolver, according to an interview with Taurus majordomo Bob Morrison on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show, as quoted in the Guns, Holsters & Gear blog. This is probably not as weird as it seems on the surface. A couple of years back Taurus floated a 9mm revolver (the 905, pictured below) essentially modeled on the old S&W I-Frame. The I-Frame was slightly smaller than the later and far more familiar J-Frame and was used on the the petite Terrier snubby and the Regulation Police revolver, both in .32 S&W and .38 S&W (which was not .38 Special). Walt Rauch got hold of one of the early 9mm Taurus revolvers and tyold me it was one of the most accurate snubs he'd ever shot — and Walt has shot a whole bunch of them!

Since the .380 is essentially a stubby 9mm (9X17 vs 9X19), should work just fine in a revolver.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the mention.

The .380 in a snubbie makes sense. Less felt recoil.

The recoil of a 9mm in a snubbie is quite similar to that of shooting a +P .38 Special round.
Firing a .380, I suspect recoil would be equivalent or less than what is felt shooting standard velocity .38 Specials with 125 grain or lighter bullets.

The Taurus as you said, was very accurate and I must add, very reliable. I estimate over 1K rounds through it in the hands of numerous shooters.

My mistake was sending it back to Taurus.(I did score a S&W M940 though).

Regards;
Walt Rauch

Anonymous said...

Taurus has a history of announcing guns that they never put into production.

A scaled frame & cylinder 380 snub would be appealing to me. Of course, I'd prefer a S&W.

Joe Ballman said...

If they could get a decent trigger past their legal department,it might be great for the ladies. Come to think of it, I might buy one myself...

Haji said...

I don't get it. The only way to make a pistol worse than by giving it a minimal cartridge is by limiting its capacity and making it slower to reload. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch, but its the last gun I want.

Anonymous said...

Haji, You need to rethink that.
Moom clips are somewhat faster than speed loaders because the release the cartridges step is removed from the process.
Tom Bogan

DT said...

I was going to ask "Why?" but Walt answered that pretty definitively :)

I won't try to second-guess what other people might want in a revolver--and if it makes a carry gun more acceptable/accessible to women, all the better. My objection would have been that .380 is still hard to find, and 9mm is a better round.

At first I thought 9mm in a revolver was a weird idea, but on the TaurusArmed forum, I read nothing but good things about the 905.

Anonymous said...

Ruger had the SP101 in 9mm too. I don't think that it's available any longer. That might say something about the market's preferences. The Ruger is a little heavier than a J-frame though. I thought that it was great idea. I already had a .357 version, otherwise, I might have gone the 9mm route.
I'd like to see some ammo in good supply first, in these popular calibers. It's still pretty dry around here.
Life Member

Jerry The Geek said...

Kahr and the Desert Eagle?

This is some sort of a weird "Mutt & Jeff" relationship thingie, isn't it?

Will said...

Full moon clips are smaller than speedloaders, but perhaps a bit more delicate, since if you bend that clip, it might tie up the cylinder. Still, smaller (and lighter) ammo supply is always better.

Dan said...

I love my S/W 940 9mm Centennial snub revo. Just wish they would make an airweight version, with or without the lock (preferably without)!

Anonymous said...

It seems that the concern that "moon-clips" are fragile continues. I have a lot of experience with "full", "half" and "one-third-moon" moon clips in 10mm. There isn't a more violent application for "clips", that I know of. I have had no problems at all with mine and have never had to replace a single clip. I carefully load them and carefully inload them. I carry them loaded in my pockets, packs, etc. My clips are from S&W and Ranch Products. I also have some that were offered by Brownell's. No problems.
The ultimate testimony comes from Shooting Ace Jerry Miculek. He's set all of his records using clip-equipped revolvers and if you watch him, he dumps his onto the ground. I'd be interersted in his sage feedback. I'll assume that he supports them, as he continues to use them in his exhibition shooting.
Life Member

Chuck said...

The Taurus .380 might not be much of a rumor, as it looks like Taurus is building the 905 again. I just purchased a brand-new one through Davidsons.

It wouldn't take much for them to manufacture the .380 version now that they are tooled up for the 905.

Dan said...

Anon, you are correct. Moon clips are not as fragile as people think. I carry a spare 5 rounds in full moon clip for my 940 in my offside front pocket and have never bent it nor lost a single round in the 5 years I've been packing it. These are factory S/W metal FMC. Cheers.

super said...

While this subject can be very touchy for most people, my opinion is that there has to be a middle or common ground that we all can find. I do appreciate that youve added relevant and intelligent commentary here though. Thank you!
Hotels in Prague

chinkykapoor002 said...

unitech crestview also has a similar way of writing .... but yours has a better sense of understanding of the topic...

muebles en vicalvaro said...

Goodness, there's a great deal of useful info in this post!