Monday, February 20, 2012

Humped It Today, But All Good!

Got the podcast finished and then fished my cowboy Vaqueros out of the ultrasonic cleaner...after about 12 hours! LOL! The parts were very, very clean...and very, very degreased! After lubing them up, the guns seem happy, though. At least I have a 4-stage match Wednesday to break them in. I hate to come into a big match with 100% clean guns.

I'm not shooting the Wild Bunch match, unfortunately. Time time time

The week after next we're filming the last SHOOTING GALLERY of season 12. We'll also be choosing the 3 most significant guns -- handgun, rifle, shotgun -- of the last 12 months. Oh, go ahead and guess!

I'm also rethinking my knife strategy. I have lots of knives, but I'm reevaluating the way I carry them. Typically, since I carry a gun on my strong side, I carry a folder set up for my weak side. I'm thinking of adding a small fixed blade to the mix, although I may have to make my own sheath to get it exactly the way I want it.




8 comments:

Obake said...

Dawson Knives make several smaller knives with special pocket sheaths. Good folks too!

Rob Kroupa said...

I've been trying to figure out a good way to carry a small fixed blade for backup.weapon retention purposes. I'll be curious what you come up with.

Overload in Colorado said...

Neck knife. There are many good choices, but I think the Strider SLCC maxes out the blade vs handle ratio.

9fingers said...

I like the TDI knife by Kabar. I wear it on the off side, right behind my magazine pouch. Seems well thought out, and intuitive to use.

nj_larry said...

"I'm also rethinking my knife strategy. I have lots of knives, but I'm reevaluating the way I carry them. Typically, since I carry a gun on my strong side, I carry a folder set up for my weak side. I'm thinking of adding a small fixed blade to the mix..."

Wait one second ! No axe? Maybe a nice Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks?

BaldEagle9 said...

I can vouch for the utility of neck carry, but I use a homemade harness to keep it in the center and facing the right way. It helps distribute the weight of even medium-size fixed blades, too.

seeker_two said...

Another vote for the TDI....great knife on the belt. I also put an athletic wristbands around the sheath & carry it in my front pocket. Concealable and quick to access....

Secesh said...

I think a fixed blade is the way to go if you are carrying on the weak side. It's hard to deploy a folder with your weak hand when you need to "cut someone off your gun".