Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday & Drywall

...yep, what can I say? Big fun!

Actually got out and shot a Pawnee Station cowboy match yesterday at Great Guns in Nunnery, CO. It went very well (4th out if 36; my Sweetie was 8th)...I can think of a couple of points where I gave up seconds, but not too many. Interestingly enough, I gave up a couple of seconds on the last stage, which was a straight up stand and shoot...usually I smoke through those because I'm good on transitions from gun to gun. Unfortunately, as I stepped to the line I thought wow, I'm having a really good match! So that evil little voice whispered, "Back it down a degree and preserve your place finish!" LOL! About the 3rd rifle shot I thought, That's really stupid...nobody's winning a Cadillac here!" and sped back up, but by the I'd lost the seconds.

There were LOTS of new shooters at the match...great for the sport...harder on me and the other couple of range officers who take the new shooters through the stages. Not really a problem, but, MAN, a huge number of gun malfunctions! Yes, even old gun designs are prone to failure...usually (or maybe I should say as usual) it's ammunition. In Cowboy, if the shooter declares a "broken gun" it's handed on and taken off-line. That's because most cowboy jams tend to be cataclysmic...try running and uncrimped round through a lever action rifle...or any round through a new Marlin. Also, I especially don't want new competitors "futzing" with a jammed gun on the line...it's not like it's "tap-rack-bang" with a semiauto...it's too easy to point the gun where it shouldn't be pointed, like at me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael - I am so glad that you and Indiana were on the posse, without you both it would have been a much longer day...thanks to both of you for all you did.

- Grizz

Anonymous said...

"Try running a[n] uncrimped round through a lever action rifle...or any round through a new Marlin."

OUCH. Such a terrible, slow-moving train wreck that is. /smh

DamDoc said...

What about the drywall?

PhilaBOR said...

Said Hamlet to Ophelia.

Michael Bane said...

Drywall the gun room...sigh...

mb