Thursday, March 17, 2005

Those Rollicking Lab Guys!

Give a bunch of geeks a heavy ion collider, and the next thing you know they've gone and destroyed Earth! Well, not yet...but they do seem to be having a good time. This from the BBC:
Lab fireball 'may be black hole'

A fireball created in a US particle accelerator has the characteristics of a black hole, a physicist has said.

It was generated at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) in New York, US, which smashes beams of gold nuclei together at near light speeds.
Not to worry, though. The story continues:
However, even if the ball of plasma is a black hole, it is not thought to pose a threat.
Well, I don't know about you, but I feel better! Still, I think I may rummage around and find my Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, just in case. Remember, DON'T PANIC!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, of course, that the Hitchhiker movie is due out 29 April?

www.hitchhikermovie.com

Michael Bane said...

I'm waiting for the HITCHHIKER movie with the same trepidation I felt before the release of LOTR...will they do it right?

I certainly hope so! A sick part of me would like to see a big screen adaptation of the Tom Baker years of DR. WHO, too...