Monday, July 24, 2006

Surfing Toward Friday

“No one gets out alive, Doc.”

Al Swearengen
Deadwood


I had one of those best-laid plans sort of weekends…I did get to the range Saturday, but instead of shooting I ended up helping out the local cops on one of their training cycles. They have a new firearms trainer, and this was his first solo class. I remember my first solo class, and it was scary as all get-out. Anyhow, glad I could be of service!

I also had a really tough exercise day planned for Sunday, as my Sweetie has a triathlon coming up — 1/2-mile open water swim at the local reservoir, a one-hour bike at race pace and a 5-K run. We whipped through the swim in the diesel/baby pee/sludgy rez, then headed out on the bike. Rather, my Sweetie headed out on the bike…Mr. “Sure The Tires Are Worn But There’s One More Good Ride In ‘Em” blew a tire about 10 feet from the car. Upon examining said bike tires, I discovered that I was basically riding on the tubes…yes, we ride a lot!

I left my Sweetie to do the ride, raced to Excel, bought new tires and tubes, mounted them, then was able to get back and do a really hard 30-minute ride. When I caught up with my Sweetie on the way back in, though, she was a hurting puppy…a combination of lots of heat, full-strength Gatoraide and rez-sludge. Needless to say, we cancelled the run and retreated to Mountain Sun, a hippie microbrewery in Boulder, where, if they knew what I did for a living, would have me summarily thrown into the street. It has been my experience after some three dozen triathlons (including 3 finishes at the Alcatraz tri, where the water in the shipping lane off San Francisco tastes just like Number 3 Diesel and ship wastes!) that nothing settles Open Water Stomach like beer. It’s better than Pepto-Bismol and blessedly not pink.

Through the careful internal application of their amber ale on the nitro pump (if you don't know what this is, shame on you! You flunk Beer 101), my Sweetie was instantly better. They ought to bottle this stuff! No, wait...they do, don't they?

Anyhow, gotta love my old home down of Memphis, where assault seems to be the local pastime. Still, here's even more prooof of the ole "knife to a gunfight" saw:
A knife-wielding grocery store employee attacked eight co-workers Friday, seriously injuring five before a witness pulled a gun and stopped him, police said.
If you happen to be in Memphis and have an urge to participate in the local fun pastime, keep in mind that my good friend Tom Givens at Rangemaster has trained hundreds of "civilians" how to deal with scumbags like yourself...and he is really, really good. Me, I'd just stick to the BBQ!

If you're not pissed off already this morning, I suggest you stop by and visit Bill and Denise's Tenring Blog. This morning's excellent rant is about the continued assault on firearms ownership all around the country — which is going to continue, people, until we have a NATIONAL ACTION PLAN we can ram down our legislators' throats!

This one from California is particularly troubling:
LA County Gun Task Force Serving Search Warrants

Officers from the Los Angeles County Gun Task Force in CA have begun serving search warrants on residents in that county who are suspected of holding un-registered "Assault Rifles" including 50 BMG target rifles.

Read the whole piece...the police don't agree, but they're "just doing our jobs, ma'am!"

No comments: