Sunday, December 28, 2008

Michael Goes Consumer Crazy!


America is safe again! In a moment of weakness, I consumed — I bought a new television set yesterday. I did research on the Internet, picked an Amazon 5-star unit, went to one store and paid cash, which seemed to confuse everyone. The clerks, happy to see a living human being, helped me cart it out to my almost-paid-for utterly boring Honda Element, in which I sat in post-coital bliss after single-handedly relaunching the tanked economy.

To my credit, I bought the TV to replace my aging upstairs Sony, which I bought brand new in 1984. In recent months I've been worrying that I was going blind, or that my Sweetie was smearing Vaseline on the television screen in some sneaky attempt to get me to send Alf the Wonder Beagle to seeing eye dog school. It turned out that after a couple of decades the old Sony, which probably uses more energy than Pakistan, was fading. So my master plan was to move the downstairs television — a 9 year-old Toshiba tube set...a pup, so to speak — upstairs and get a new television for downstairs.

So far, so good. I'll probably spend the rest of the day fretting over cables and stuff. If you must know, I bought a mid-level Sony LCD 46-incher to replace my aging mid-level Sony. I paid about 50% of what I would have paid in September. With luck, I won't have to walk into an electronics store for a decade or so, assuming of course that there will be electronics stores in 10 years rather than Bob's Burkha Outlet.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a new TV also. Small world. A Sharp HD/LCD 32 incher. I didn't pay anything for it either. Unless you count those 25 years of un-dying loyalty and service to the same employer (you know the one I mean MB).

Anonymous said...

MB now make sure that you dispose of that old tv in an environmentally safe manner ! We wouldn't want to foul the planet.

p.s. you will not believe watching a 1080i football game !

Anonymous said...

If you love the Sony that's the ticket. If it comes with a hiccup, you may consider exchanging it. Consumer's Union top ranked 50" 1080 plasma Samsung PN50A550 is, at Sears, $1,400. Cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City was....and they help support military families.

Saved enough to have someone install the dang thing for me....

Anonymous said...

Don,

I got my Sony for spending weeks in Mr. Marriots third world, oops, developing nations hostels.

I consider it a nice loyal customer reward and appreciate the fact that none of them were blown up while I was there.

Ratcatcher 55

Jkwas said...

I like the picture. It reminds me of the old Panasonic "Derby" 9in. table model I had for years on my nightstand.

Pete said...

I thought I had single-handedly saved the enconomy! After spending more than $450 at the Creedmore Sports website, I somehow managed to spend only $300 at the Coach purse store.

Only the first one was for me. I hope to get some enjoyment out of both though.

Mike W. said...

Congrats! My parents just took advantage of the deals and got a 52 inch Samsung.

I'm looking to pick up a 27 inch sometime later this year.

Anonymous said...

I should have gotten bigger than 50 for the living room...somewhere around 56 0r 60. 50 is plenty good for the bedroom.

Anonymous said...

I'm going off subject here, but I think it's important. Last season someone did this and got your notice. It was about the audio on Shooting Gallery. I think it's better now but last week on Cowboys Tupelo was interviewing and almost everyone the audio faded out at the end of the answer. I understand the difficulty outdoors with the wind and all that Murphy can throw at you, but I hope this doesn't plague TBD because of it's importance. Thank you for attention. the mushroom

Anonymous said...

Michael, I agree that yourt old TV should be disposed of "properly". How about takin' it to Knob Creek next year?
Heh, heh,....
Life Member

Anonymous said...

Proper disposal of an old TV should involve firearms. I found a standard velocity .38 will penetrate only the front of a 20" tube. Never came out until I dumped the shards out with it. That front glass must have been almost three-quarters of an inch thick!!

Health News said...

yeah truly a great site.I really enjoyed my visit.

Astermeds Online said...

Hi,
This is great blog post found here... Keep posting such an amazing blog post. Thanks!

Appdrift said...

Thanks for the information. It's really great.

periyannan said...

This is the first & best article to make me satisfied by presenting good content. I feel so happy and delighted. Thank you so much for this article.
python internship | web development internship |internship for mechanical engineering students|mechanical engineering internships|java training in chennai |internship for 1st year engineering students |online internships for cse students|online internship for engineering students |internship for ece students|data science internships |