Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve, 2008

As always, from LOTR...

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

Happy New Year from the Michael Bane Blog...let us never forget there is good in the world, and it's worth fighting for...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a Happy New Year to you as well, Sir.

Anonymous said...

33 mins to go here MB, Happy new year and lets avoid the chinese curse if we can.

word verification is Furquati, sounds kind of like how I feel right now, Or maybe a new rum drink.

Carry on and TBD was awesome.

M25

Anonymous said...

A Happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours, Michael

And a great big thank you for all the things you do to advance the gunc culture - the shows, SHOT coverage, and the millions of little things we never really see or hear about.

I had chaos here last night, hope the DVR caught it all. I did see about half of TBD - next season (since this one is in the can) please ask Rob to slow down when he speaks a bit. What I saw I liked, Janich did well on hardening a room.

I hope to see the rest today, but the pickup died and I think at least one new battery is in store for the new year.

Jkwas said...

A good New Year to everyone. May it be better than the last and may we be up to the challenge of making it better.

Health News said...

yeah truly a great site.I really enjoyed my visit.