Saturday, January 10, 2015

Gun Stuff...

Spent some time on the phone yesterday with my old friend Bruce Gray of GrayGuns discussing the future of the Sig Sauer P320, the polymer-framed striker-fired Sig that was such a hit at last tear's SHOT Show.


Bruce has worked with Sig for years, and he's hugely excited about the 320 not just as a service pistol, but as a platform for competition. Of course, as I've said before, Bruce could probably carve a gun out of a bar of soap and have it work just fine. Some of his initial accuracy tests are available here on his blog.

Bruce is stoked on the gun's potential…he's talking about using one for Bianchi this year, and Allen Forkner, who works with Sig at the Swanson Russell agency, will the running a GrayGuns mod'ed Sig in 3-Gun this season, assuming he can find suitably fashionable extended magazine base pads to go with his holster. My understanding is that this year 3-GUN NATION will actually be instituting fashion rules on guns and gear, with time-based penalties for non-matching accessories…joke…joke...JOKE!!!


It's great to hear Bruce all revved up and excited. He's had a series of heart health problems over the last few years that has rendered him sort of the Incredible Disappearing Person. For those of you who don't know him, Bruce is the rarest of all birds in the gun culture. He has been a world-class shooter and a world-class gunsmith for decades. Add to that LEO and world class instructor…he worked with me and Erhardt on the NSSF Media Education programs. I took one of Bruce's classes at the Sig Academy with my old Sig 226, and it's one of the best classes I've ever taken.

Bruce has some guns to show me at Media Day in Vegas, so I'll keep you informed. BTW, if you've never read Bruce's "Practical Pistol Cheat Sheet: Eight key thoughts for assured performance," I strongly suggest you do so immediately. It's decades of experience from one of shooting's true Zen Masters boiled down into a couple of pages;

This as I continue outfitting my old Glock 34 9mm for my own 3-Gun season. As I've mention before, the G34 now sports a GlockTriggers "Edge" trigger and a Sentinel Design Glock magwell…not a huge comp magwell, but a serviceable design. At the suggestion of knowledgeable Glocksters, I'm leaning toward Taran Tactical sights…I need that green fiber optic front in any case. You can probably guess that I'm still ambivalent about going to a dot sight…not sure why this is. I can't waive my arms and make my eyes any better…all that can be done has been done. I guess I've never been that interested in Open class. Still, my work with a rifle over the last year has convinced me that optics are my future.

Ironically, I've really liked running dots on my Glock 19, and I do like the ALG "6-Second" mount that Jerking The Trigger is showing. Maybe it's time...

8 comments:

Sheepdog1968 said...

How about XS sights instead of red dot? I know you like them. I like them as well. For any pistol I own that is designated as a self defense firearm I've installed them.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about 3 gun fashion rules reminded me about the SOF 3 gun rule against brightly colored basepads.

Michael Bane said...

For a while IDPA had an informal rule against brightly colored holsters…

mb

PlzenPlinker said...

Bruce's Eight Points seems to be missing Number 4- is this the Incredible Disappearing Tip from the Incredible Disappearing Person?

After a taxing 48 hours of work, I used my down time to catch up on some podcasts. Thanks for the sanity maintenance. Being a foodie, I appreciate all the lasagna talk, and I am always up for a margarita. Happy New Year and enjoy the Mini!

Anonymous said...

How's the grip angle on that 320 vs. the Sig 250, or a 226? Or compared to a 1911?

Life Member

Michael Bane said...

I only put 4-5 mags through the gun at Media Day last year…felt exactly like the 250 with its standard size grip, which is pretty close to the Sig standard 226. Bruce and my friends at Sig are adamant that I get one to try.

I always kinda liked the 250, even with its loooooooooonnnnnnngggggg trigger.

mb

Anonymous said...

Thanks MB,

I've only viewed the 320 and 250 in pictures. The grip angle looks more vertical on the 320. The 250 looks more like a 226, which I have handled.

Life Member

media online indonesia said...

Thank you write this article for me see, I asked permission to write on the website diakui.com wish you deign to allow it