Saturday, November 07, 2015

Quick Glock-y Update

Today I started running rounds through the Gen 2 Tactical Solutions TSG-22 Glock .22LR on the G17 frame with the Apex trigger. Few quick points:

It runs great with Mini-Mags; haven't tried anything else yet, but later this afternoon I'm going to go try some Gemtech .22s subsonics with the Tac-Sol suppressor.
The Apex trigger is very, very good, on par with my GlockTrigger Edge competition trigger; crisp, much reduced take-up, short reset…the trigger just feels good.

An update on the update…today is so spectacular weatherwise I got in a little more range time. As I suspected, the Tac-Sol Glock was strictly single shot with the Gemtechs and the CCI Quiets, my 2 most suppressor-friendly rounds. It was 100% with Mini-Mags with and without the Axiom. I am really liking the Apex trigger more and more as I get used to it, BTW.

I still don't have full access to my range…the trails down to my favorite shooting positions are steep and rocky, and I'm not there yet. So today I worked on 20 and 25 yard plates. Couple of notes…conversio units are notoriously tricky with aftermarket trigger set-ups, but I haven't had any problems with the Apex trigger on the conversion unit.

Second point…I have NOT run the Tac-Sol Glock mags at 15 rounds; I have found that larger capacity .22 magazines usually only work on Tuesday when loaded to capacity…been shooting 10-shot strings...

After 50 rounds, I switched over to the Ruger MkIII with the 6-inch Tac Sol upper. That's a gun I know runs 100% with the super accurate Gemtechs. I'd put a rail-mounted Primary Arms reflex sight on it as part of my move to a red dot universe. I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet, but I thought I'd cross my fingers and hope. Mounted close to the rear of the rail, the dot was right there on elevation and a smidge to the right on windage. I spent about 50 rounds shifting back and forth between 2 60-yard steel silhouettes. Gives me a overwhelming urge to shoot NSSF Rimfire Challenge!




9 comments:

DamDoc said...

Michael - do you believe the trigger replacements are safe for concealed carry, or just for competition?.. I carry a 26, and liken the idea of an improved trigger, since the trigger arent smooyh and crisp like my Sigs!.. but wouldnt want anything too light and/or short either, for safety reasons,, smoother would be good, though... thoughts on that issue? thanks!

DamDoc said...

isnt smooth.. mfat fingers on may iphone!

Michael Bane said...

DamDoc…still not sure. I out one of the SI "Flat and Straight" triggers in my G26 and have just started working with it. I have shot this trigger in a bunch of other guns,and it's really nice. Not superlight like the GlockTrigger Edge I have on the competition G34.

I'll keep you informed…

mb

_DonWorsham_ said...

I was in a Massad Ayoob class this weekend. Mas said do not modify the trigger on your carry gun as the lawyers will use that against you. No 3.5 connector no drop in triggers. Making the pull heaver is okay apparently. My old carry guns (G17, G26) were modify and will stay so. My current carry G43 is unmodified. Still haven't replaced the rear sight...lazy I guess.

Michael Bane said...

Don, a fair question. My "Bible" on this issue is this comprehensive article from TBD's own Marty Hayes:

https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/gun-modifications

Alan Cowen also took this on at Breach Bang Clear:

http://www.breachbangclear.com/a-critical-look-at-trigger-pull-2/

My G26 out of the box had a roughly 5.5-6 pound trigger pull, a la most Gen 3 Glocks (and what Glock claims). The SI Patrol trigger measures out in 10 shot overage on my Lyman digital gage at 5 pounds 7 ounces. It is a 2-stage trigger, long, smooth take-up, crisp break. It uses the original spring.

By way of comparison, my Open G34 with the GlockTrigger Edge comes in at 5.15 pounds with zero take-up and zero overtravel. To me it is a pure competition set-up, even with a trigger pull weight of more than 5 pounds. My 2 out-of-the-box G19s come in at 5 pounds 11 ounces and 6 pounds even.

I don't think a case could be made (or rather, my attorney should be able to refute the case) that I have created a "hair trigger" on the G26. In fact, my OTHER carry 9mm, the Ruger LC9s, out of the box clocks in at 4 pounds and a spec less than 13 ounces.

The Glocks have red dots; the Ruger irons.

I suspect the far bigger issue for both you and I will be our "paper trail" of training. I once did a court simulation with Mas where I was a civilian after a "good" self-defense shooting...the prosecuting attorney went straight after my training and so-called 'expertise." It was a LONG LONG DAY!!!

mb

mb

Michael Bane said...

AARON COWAN, I mean!

mb

Michael Bane said...

MAD DUO?

mb

Michael Bane said...

Also read Moderno's long comment...

mb

_DonWorsham_ said...

I would agree if your mods keep you near the factory settings. My reference was to changes that put it the 3-4 pound range (for Glocks).