Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Shopping!

I'm doing some cooking out of Robert Koller's Quickenberry Vegetable Cookbook for this Thanksgiving, specifically a baked spinach dish in little ramekins…oh wait, can I still say "ramekins," since it sounds vaguely Arabic? Like maybe a holiday none of the rest of us get to celebrate? It would be pretty niggardly to to remove words from the dictionary just because of how they sound…oh wait…never mind.

Robert was so gracious to us, and his food so spectacular, while we were in New Zealand, that I can't wait to work from his book. Actually, we're having a very small family Thanksgiving here at the Bunker. My Sweetie's brother is smoking a turkey breast, my Sweetie is doing dumplings (one of her specialties), an English-style fruit salad, a chocolate creme pie and her great Italian bread. I'm doing the spinach dish, family recipe sage dressing (oysters in my portion, of course) and roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

I think I'm going with an NZ white wine…haven't decided which one yet. I mean, I could shift gears and go with a light pinot noir, but one never knows, does one?

Meanwhile, back at the Apocalypse...


This Thanksgiving I'm thankful that I'm upwind of Denver. I'm also thankful that I've already seen the Ghost and the Darkness and Sue the T-Rex at the Field Museum in Chicago, plus I've had a Chicago-syle deep dish pizza at the original Uno's in Chicago, so if the city get burned down, looted, reduced to rubble, whatever, over the Thanksgiving weekend, I'm still a few points up.

I'm also thankful I'm not flying:

Police with machine guns at U.S. airports this holiday weekend

I'm also profoundly thankful that my Sweetie's sourdough culture came from a kit, rather than…"domestically" grown. 

And finally, a few thoughtful Thanksgiving words from George Orwell: The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Michael- sounds like a great Thanksgiving! A favor, if you dont mind- could you give us an update on the Kahr that you were having a rmr installed on? Your podcasts regarding the red dot sighted pistols have me thinking...Thank you!

Charlie Foxtrot said...

Michael -- Happy Thanksgiving and the iTunes podcast feed is screwed up! ;)

Charlie Foxtrot said...

Apocalypses delayed. Turns out the world's worst podcast collector on my computer had once again screwed up. With an hour of effort, I was able to delete the Down Range 'cast and resubscribe. That seems to have fixed the "Cannot Find Server" error. For now.

I miss the days when Steve Jobs would enforce software quality and excellence by executing engineers in the Cupertino campus' main square. Apple software has really declined. Especially that @#$%^&* iTunes for Windows.

rangebag said...

I hear that smoking turkeys is legal in Colorado now.

Andy Moon said...

Thanks Charlie! After seeing your solution, it only took me 5 minutes to delete, unsubscribe, and resubscribe. I wonder if the problem is related to the new picture for the podcasts?

Jewrry in Pcola said...

Michael:
I always listen to your podcasts as I did today, and remembered back to the fall of 1965. I was a sophomore in high school, and always listened to music on my parents red zenith portable am/fm radio in the kitchen before school. It was here that I first heard "eve of destruction"!! It wasn't two weeks later when the GM of the Syracuse station came on in the morning and said that they were banning the song because of the phrase "you can hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace" Guess it really struck a nerve back then-- my how times have changed!!

Jerry in Pcola said...

Ps Michael:

Same year 1965 Donovan's "Universal Soldier" played and played on the air!

pigpen51 said...

Happy Thanksgiving Michael and Family,

Take a few days to forget about all of the strife and nonsense in the world and to remember that we still live in the greatest nation that has ever been conceived by mankind. Let us pray that we will one day bring back the pride that we should feel when we say that " Yes, I am an American!"

nj larry said...

Well MB save a little money for your OBAMA 1911 !!! NRA reporting he just signed the Defense Authorization bill WITH the 1911 disposal provision thru the CMP !

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151125/appropriations-act-passes-with-important-pro-second-amendment-provisions

Rounding out the list of pro-gun provisions is section 1087, which restores authorization to the Secretary of Defense to transfer to the Civilian Marksmanship Program surplus M1911 and M1911A1 .45 ACP pistols for sale to the public. The component of the CMP that dispenses the pistols would be required to obtain a federal firearms license and abide by all requirements of the Gun Control Act pertaining to licensed sales and transfers. Currently, the military has some 100,000 such pistols that it no longer needs and that are being stored as taxpayer expense. These historically-significant firearms can now be transferred to law-abiding owners at a net gain to the government’s heavily-indebted balance sheet.

DamDoc said...

Happy Turkey Day... yeah, i had to delete the podcast and re-subscribe to get this weeks episode on both my ipad and iphone... the old subscription on both stopped downloading episodes.. the new subscription has a new cover photo of some old geek ;-)... maybe the picture change froze it up? ..

Anonymous said...

kobe byrant shoes
bape clothing
off white
air jordan shoes
palm angels tracksuit
adidas yeezy
hermes
off white nike
off white nike
jordan 1 off white