Saturday, October 03, 2009

Today's Cowboy Match...

...in Wyoming with the Cheyenne Regulators was my second clean — no misses! — match in a row. This gives me some confidence in bumping up the speed a bit and take a few more risks. Was a very good match, and it was great fun shooting with COWBOYS and SG producer John "Picyune" Carter, director of photography Gene "Grizz" Moffett and my Sweetie, who also had a very good match. We had a GREAT posse!

Meanwhile, The Firearms Blog wonders whether Beretta is getting ready to roll out a velociraptor whacker with their Xplor ad.


Well, works for me, but I'm obviously twisted when it comes to Big Boomers...plus, I'm up for the Jurassic Park solution to the shrinking population in the midwest...cook up some dinos and let 'em rip!

And if you can's wait for Beretta, NeanderPundit has just the ticket (and I gun I was immeditaely seized with gun lust over), an Italian 45-70 double rifle:
Let me talk a little about my love for doubles, for a moment.

I have, since I was old enough to remember, loved fine rifles, and especially doubles. I had read ‘Use Enough Gun” at the local library at ten or eleven and was hooked. I started my collection of firearms, the first firearm I ever purchased, was a double shotgun. I took it afield and took shots at birds, imagining i was Ruark, holding a fine english double on the ear-hole of a grazing elephant with tusks the size of my calves. I looked at every book that had guns in it. I read every article about double rifles I could find. It wasn’t exactly an obsession, but no double ever escaped my gaze. From the 9.3×74r cartridge in “Snows of Kilimanjaro” above, to the 450 nitro express in “Ghost and the darkness” I lusted after fine doubles. Figuring I’d never have one, I looked constantly at large bore bolties and single shots,. and have been looking at a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott or an Enfield 1917 in 416 Rigby. I’m a recoil junkie anyway, and these just seemed fun.
Amen, brother! Why I have a Ruger #1 in 450/400 3-inch Nitro Express. And $4K for a double seems imminently fair (and attainable) to me. For an extra grand you can sign up for my good friend Jim Clark of Clark Custom Guns newest blaster, a handbuilt double rifle that can be had in a number of calibers, including 45-70 and 450/400. Jim called me up a couple of weeks ago to fill me in on the project, which he tipped me off to at the NRA Show a couple of years ago. Now this gun would be an heirloom!


Clark Double Rifle

10 comments:

Charlie Foxtrot said...

.
Turkey feet.

Beretta's got a new shotgun for hunting. Yawn.

Anonymous said...

I got Horn of the Hunter for my 10th birthday. I've longer for a 416 Rigby ever since.

Curse you Max Rice for giving me that book!(Not Really)

Ratcatcher 55

Anonymous said...

Sure looks nice. wish I could afford one.

ericire12 said...

I'm guessing a beretta in .380

:)

Walter45Auto said...

That double .45-70 is BEAUTIFUL! I want one.... I've wanted one ever since I saw the Kodiak double .45-70 years ago.

Unknown said...

why couldnt they make a 380 in the tomcat package. Id like one of those.

seeker_two said...

Maybe it IS a gun for velociraptors...as in a gun so easy to shoot that even a velociraptor can shoot it....

That should make JURASSIC PARK IV more interesting....

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the old sci-fi short story by L. Sprague deCamp, "A Gun for Dinosaurs".

"Shoot for the heart, you'll never hit the brain...."

Mathew Paust said...

The lawyer in Jurassic I coulda used one of those to launch himself out of the privy right past those angry jaws - just point the bbls straight down. 'd work sorta like twin booster rockets, I reckon.

Then again, I cheered when Dino got the sleazy bast'd.

Chas said...

I've never aspired to a double. I would merely like to have a simple, domestic, pre-64 Winchester model 70 in the minimally exotic, .458 Winchester Magnum, even though I'd have no practical use for it. Still, it is a fine and wonderful thing to have a gun for the imagination. Probably shoot it a couple times and just put it away. Cabela's has a nice one for a mere $5500.00. Price vs. recoil, which would hurt more?