Thursday, April 14, 2011

Not a Parrot...



I suspect my parrots would be jealous of anything perching on my shoulder...even a camera. We were filming our special rifle class for TBD/SURVIVAL, working through one of the long field courses with targets from 100-200 yards or so. We built the class around the Ruger/Gunsite Scout Rifle,, which I absolutely love. We worked a lot on snap shooting, shooting on moving targets, position shooting from 7 yards to 300 yards, quick reloads, etc.

We were shooting Hornady 165-gr SuperPerformance ammo, which basically yields 2600 fps out of the Scout's 16 1/2-inch barrel. I've said this before -- I love this rifle. It is everything I have wanted in a light, easy handling package with a powerful cartridge. I was shooting a Burris 2.75 scout scope, although I did really like Gary Paul Johnson's 1.5-4 Leupold scout scope. I didn't have any trouble making the 300 yard shots against pepper poppers with the Burris, but I think I might have been a little quicker on the trigger with a 4X.

Anyway, you'll be seeing this starting the first week of July.

REGARDING THE KIMBER SOLO -- damn, that little thing shoots good! My biggest worry for the little 9mm -- recoil -- turned out to be a non-issue. I mean, it pops you more than a .380, but it's no trouble to run the gun. We'll have a video report on DRTV, and I'll have my comprehensive review on Downn Range Radio next week. Couple of small issues -- the mag release button requires a *decisive* push to pop out the little magazines (which pretty much insisted on 5, rather than 6, rounds) and I would have liked a pinky hook on the mag base.

This week I've been carrying a Ruger LC9 9mm in a Wilderness Tactical SafePacker...I just out the SafePacker on my belt and used it as my carry holster. No problemo...like not carrying a gun at all.

BTW, I got to put some more rounds out of that gun that hasn't been announced...nice gun. Should such a gun ever materialize, we will have a massive video report on DRTV.


-- Post From The Road

11 comments:

DamDoc said...

What gun that has not been announced? :>)

Anonymous said...

Wait a second. I thought you loved the John Ross 4 bore? Are you tossing that out of bed for the Scout Rifle?

Michael Bane said...

If I could only *afford* John Ross' 4-bore!!! No wabbit in America would be safe!

mb

Overload in Colorado said...

I assume from the picture you're back to shooting right handed?

nj_larry said...

Am I nuts or are you looking a bit like Col. Towsend Whelen in that photo?

http://www.americangrouch.com/2011/02/townsend-whelen.html

Michael Bane said...

Overload...yep...replacement lenses in both eyes..right retina is permanent scarred, but got the vision back to 20/30...this was the first time I've shot at 300 yards, and I was very pleased...to borrow a quote from the greatest western ever made, "it ain't what it used to be, but it'll do..."

mb

Matthew said...

The one Solo I handled (not a statistically sig. sample) would not engage the slide stop with the empty mag. The follower would shift over rather than pushing it up.

Did you notice this on the test gun? Heard anything about it?

Michael Bane said...

One of 2 mags wouldn't lock it back...

mb

Matthew said...

Thanks,

If its a problem as opposed to an anomoly I assume Kimber will address it, and if it sells well aftermarket mags will be available regardless.

Oh, I gave away another copy of Trailsafe to a female friend. I should order them by the case. =)

Thanks again for writing it.

www.muebles-en-chinchon.com said...

Wow, there is a lot of useful data above!

duko said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I think.