Ruger SR1911 is officially out of the bag...for our full report, go to DRTV, where we've got huge video coverage. Marshal Halloway tells me that despite our non-insubstantial server capacity we're struggling with unprecedented traffic!
I've got about 700 rounds through pre-production models and a few magazines through one of the production versions. I believe it may be one of the smartest 1911 launches in recent year...here are the bullet points:
• Series 70...no Series 80 clutter or (shudder!) Swartz grip safety system
• Ruger-made small parts, solving a lot of the typical 1911 issues right off the bat
• EDM'ed breech face, about as precise as you can get
• Barrel and bushing cut from the same piece of bar stock
• Novak sights (and yes, I could do without the 3 dots!)
• Plunger tube part of the frame (the frame is a casting finished on their CNC machines...as you probably know, Ruger is the great master of casting...they've been casting Caspian's highly regarded frames for years)
• Titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring (something I've routinely done on my smaller 1911s as an extra safety edge)
• Single side safety (typically I'll take the ambi safety off a non-competition gun)
Check out the details over at DRTV....the Wednesday podcast will focus on the 1911...