Thursday, June 14, 2012

Reloading Day...

...where I locked myself in the gun room and cranked out 700 .357s. Happy happy joy joy joy! Also working on ELITE TACTICAL UNIT and a competition thing I can't talk about yet. Got my BRILEY 10-shot tube for my Remington Versa Max, so I may use it in the Crimson Trace night 3-gun match next month. Probably be running Streamlight flame-throwers on the long guns. Definitely my JP rifle with the Leupold CQ/T. Ruger SR9. BTW, am having a SR9 built up with a Trijicon RMR by TSD Combat Systems. The drawback is the slide won't allow co-witnessing iron sights like on the Glock or the FNH, but I really want to give the system a try. If it works, I may replace my bedside Sig Sauer 226 9mm with an FNH .45.

Nice piece from Tam on the ridiculousness of laws that make inadvertantly "flashing" a concealed weapon a crime:

 The proper action is to join the 21st Century and to eliminate the ridiculous "mandatory concealment" language that was a sop to the gun prohibitionists and makes you the laughingstock of most states in the Union, regardless of your feelings on Open Carry (and I don't OC myself, for whatever that's worth.) 

I have said repeatedly the one of the greatest unintended consequences of the OC movement is the "decriminalization" of inadvertantly showing a concealed weapon. I live in an open carry state (Colorado), but when I go to Florida or Texas, I have to be extra special careful because their laws are nonsensical. 

Wonderful piece from brother Massad Ayoob in BACKWOODS HOME magazine on taking a less-than-high speed gun afield:

Do you ever find yourself putting the modern, high-efficiency firearm back in the safe or the gun case, and heading out to the range or the field with something more “traditional” instead?

Great piece...read the comments!


9 comments:

BaldEagle9 said...

If I remember correctly, Texas has since gotten rid of that particular nonsense, FYI.

Obake said...

Unfortunately Texas has not fixed the open carry/flashing issue. hopefully in 2013.

Rastus said...

Oklahoma is fixing it with the open carry law. An unscrupulous DA could have charged a CCW holder who inadvertently flashed or printed with a felony....no more after November. Still, the word is not clear that open carry requires CCW in Oklahoma which will put some uninformed citizens in a bad situation.

Anonymous said...

Florida fixed it. No problem with accidental flashing since the last legislative session.

Tam said...

ORLY?

I'm sure it's a consolation to him that his arrest will be tossed...

Tam said...

To expand on my previous comment, Florida's "fix" was a craven half-measure, leaving it up to interpretation whether an exposure of a handgun was inadvertent or not.

The requirement to conceal needs to be tossed, period point blank.

Michael Bane said...

Amen, Ms. Tam!

mb

Michael Bane said...

Amen, Ms. Tam!

mb

BaldEagle9 said...

Dang. Had a feeling it was too good to be true. I'll make a point to follow these things more closely.