Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Still Treading Water...

...did get to spend yesterday at the range with family members, and it was Big Fun. Ran newbies through a lot of guns, and it's always great to see people's faces light up when they realize how much fun shooting is.


I also rediscovered and "old friend," my Henry Golden Boy .22 that I haven't shot in ages. I hauled it out for the newbies to shoot; then I remembered how much I liked shooting it. The Golden Boy is just a wonderful little gun. Given my performance with the rifle at the Rocky Mountain Regional Raid, I should clearly be shooting the Golden Boy a lot more! I guess it all comes down to the fact that .22s, especially .22 rifles, are great things to shoot...heck, everybody should own a few! Get a Golden Boy, get a 10/22 and you will be the HERO of every kid in the neighborhood! Unless you live outside the United Sates in some place like Australia, California, New York or New Jersey, where you will be considered something only slightly less reprehensible than a serial killer.

7 comments:

Steve T. said...

You're absolutely right about owning a couple .22s! I desired a Henry Goldenboy because I love the company's "Made in the USA" pride. But I already have a terrific Marlin 39M .22 lever action. When Henry came out with the Goldenboy in .17 HMR, that was enough to push me over the edge. What an outstanding rifle! The .17 HMR punches through a coin like a hot knife through butter! Accurate and with a slick action!

Trav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trav said...

I'll disagree with your last line, brother Michael. I believe we're actually viewed with more hatred than a serial killer in those places. After all, the serial killer is just a poor, misunderstood person who needs to be coddled and told he's special. Somebody who's interested in firearms and is spreading that evil disease to children is an unredeemably evil person who needs to get on the next train to Dachau.

Awtha said...

re. "Unless you live outside the United Sates in some place like Australia, California, New York or New Jersey, where you will be considered something only slightly less reprehensible than a serial killer."
Being an EX-Joisey-ite myself, WHY WHY are so many gun companies (Henry Repeating Arms makes its home in Bayonne, New Jersey.) still in those treacherous places??

Wallaby Jack said...

I live in Australia and I am (aparently) less reprehensible than a serial killer ...... nothing slight about it ..

Charlie Foxtrot said...

I tried a Henry Golden Boy at the local gun-pusher, but put it back on the shelf as it felt "plasticy". Nothing at all like the solid, substanial, smooth steel feel of my Win 9422. Now I'm seeing a lot of people I respect raving about the GB. Hmm.

Should I give the GB another look? Or keep looking for that Win 9417 I need for my collection?

Theresa said...

A gun should not even be the thing that would stand up for who you are. it is racist in a way. We all have reasons for owning one and it shouldn’t be judged just like that.