Saturday, March 26, 2016

Saturday Musings...

Totally bummed that we had to reschedule the Mass Casualty Event, but nothing to be done for it when Nature throws you a cold, wet snowball. We've rescheduled for the end of April, where we've got a better weather window. We'll post details for extras on DRTV when we sign the contracts with the venue.

It didi allow me to get into scripting for GUN STORIES, which is something I love to do. It's like following little threads of information back to their source. It's interesting how the "facts" shift and change and morph through the years. Found that yesterday running down an annecdote and finally picked the one closets to the source. After spending so much time with the top firearms historians in the world, I've learned that a lot of what I thought I knew that falls under the heading of "common knowledge" is pretty much wrong.

Been focusing on PT since I got the go-ahead from the doctors…longer walks…the stationary bicycle. I even managed my first wobbly deadlift — just the bar, no weight. As the quad gets stronger, I can add weight. I'm walking without a cane and without my leg brace in the house. I'm "practicing" walking…with a braces and crutches, you get in the habit of "swinging" the leg in a circular motion instead of just lifting with the quad. So you practice doing "marching steps" to get back in the habit of having the quad lift the leg. Big fun!

BTW, now is a wonderful time to stock up on ammo in advance of the coming boom. followed by the inevitable shortages. I was glancing through a Natchez Shooters Supply catalog yesterday and saw Federal 55-gr ball at $354 per thousand. I must have shot a ton of that stuff over the years. Not the most accurate ammo on earth, but not bad, either. TulAmmo 9mm, that's the steel-cased polymer coated 115-gr ball, is going for about $170 per 900-round "sardine can." I keep some of those in "deep storage," which is what their designed for. Don't overlook shotgun shells. Once again, I've shot bushel basket-loads of inexpensive Estate brand, especially their Super Sport Competition loadings. Their #00 buckshot is a steal at $15 per 25, and hey, you can never have enough buckshot!

I generally keep 100 rounds of my favorite hunting ammunition around as well, Hornady Superformance in .308 and .300 Win Mag, Varmint Express in .204 Ruger and LeverRevolution in plain old boring 30-30. Keep in mind Hornady is a sponsor.

I also keep about a dozen flavors of .44 around, from Garrett dino-busters down to Cowboy .44 Specials. Additionally, I have a Dillon 550 with a Redding micrometer seating die dedicated to .44s, because I'm always tinkering with .44 loads.

8 comments:

Overload in Colorado said...

Another plus in delaying the mass cas event is that you'll be more mobile.

NJ Larry said...

MB I picked up a well reviewed air rifle (RWS 34) that I have been hankering for going on years. Nothing crazy special but a good solid performer. Pyramid Air had a great buy on it. You might want to consider a show on air guns. They have undergone a wild revolution over the last 10 years. Plus speaking of ammo, you can buy 1000's of pellets for next to nothing. The convenience of shooting etc. ...just a thought. Happy Easter btw....

Pineslayer said...

If you need an extra for the mass casualty event, keep me in the loop. Remember a mohawk wearing postal worker in your neck of the woods?

I'm in the process of filling a ammo can full of pellets NJ. .177 and .22

Do your rehab and PT. no excuses.

Michael Bane said...

Always need extras! Overload, you too!!!!

After 7 weeks of forced inactivity, PT is a blessing. Yes, it hurts (am ib bed and aching), but I was once a good triathlete, and I believe I still have that focus and commitment. I know how to train, even if I've let that slide while I was caught up in TV WORLD.

I am going back to Africa next year, one way or the other. And it will be damned hard, and I will be ready for it.

Larry, ditto on air rifles. They are amazing now. I have a .25 caliber Benjamin pre-charged (I fill it off a scuba tank), and it is amazing...and death on the rabbit hordes,

Have a wonderful Easter, guys! We walked many of the stations of the cross when we were in Jerusalem. it is impossible to do that and not be...moved. As if something speaks to your heart...

mb

Ryan said...

MB,

What's your source/insight on the coming boom and ammo shortages? Just the elections? I work for a large firearms retailer in SC and while selling has been slower in the last few months so has buying. Our used selection is getting slim. Nobody is getting rid of guns like they were last year (usually they did this to buy something new). I have noticed AR parts seem to be out of stock in several different places and Glocks seem to be getting harder to acquire through the distributer pipeline.

Beaumont said...

Natchez has long refused to do business with the residents of the state their business resides in. Even if they changed that policy, I would not consider them when shopping. They are free to act like jerks; I'm free to take my business elsewhere, and encourage others to do the same.

Anonymous said...

What's the issue with Natchez? Just "aksin".

Life Member

Anonymous said...

I stand by Natchez Shooting Supply. They've been a reliable source for many of my shooting needs over the years. Good prices, great service, good selection, etc.

No issues here.

Life Member