Thursday, March 24, 2016

Thursday & GUN STORIES Scripting!

Just because we cancelled our filming for the next 3 days doesn't mean I get the day off. I'm throwing myself into GUN STORIES scripting (and interviews) for the next couple of weeks. I did want to show you the more-or-less finished G34 with the ALG mount and an Aimpoint H-1 with a 2 MOA dot:


The thing does shoot like a house afire...the extra weight of the mount and Aimpoint make it like running a stapler. The toughest part of the whole package was the holster. There are a number of holster makers doing holsters for the ALG mount, but only for the whole package, with a SureFire or Streamlight mounted. I wanted to shoot the gun in USPSA Open (yes, yes, I know...better competition mounts are available...no comp...minor caliber...good Lord it's not a C-More...I honestly don't care...my Sweetie wants to shoot USPSA, and I'm just along to have fun and play with the guns).


When I called up the companies and asked if they would make me a holster for a gun without a light attached, answered ranged from a simple "No" to "We only build holsters for serious people." Okay, cool. I could have gone the Safariland route with their 014 Competition Model, which would fit the gun pretty easily, but I'm used to DOH kydex holsters, My gear is all set up for Blade-Tech Tek-Lok attachment, and as I am old, I was loath to go to a whole new system. So I kept calling.

I finally ended up talking to Brent Fernandez, head guy at Advanced Holsters. Advanced Holsters is a fascinating company...in addition to kydex holsters, they sell a series of "survival" tools, from a neat lock pick card to a truly brilliant "Snatch and Grab" modular load out panel. When I asked about an ALG holster for a gun without the light, Brent said, "I don't see why not."

The months passed, and I would get an occasional note from Brent that I hadn't been forgotten. Finally, at SHOT he looked me up to explain. "It wasn't as simple as we thought it would be," he said ruefully. "We kept molding holsters, and they just didn't meet our standards. But, we're almost there, and we won't stop until we get the holster you want."


A couple of weeks back, that holster arrived, and it is everything I wanted and more. It is a perfect fit, holds the gun securely, is beautifully detailed and fitted with their Holster Hanger and a Tec-Lok attachment. The Holster Hanger is pretty much infinitely adjustable, and I have it set exactly like I want it. Unlike similar hangers, this one is laser cut from 6061-T6 aluminum and hard anodized...it's about as still as humanly possible.


If this is a representative of Advanced Holster's work, I can't recommend them highly enough! The fact that they flatly refused to give up until they made a holster that met their high standards says a lot about a company. They also make the minimalist Mini-Concealment holster, which I'm looking forward on trying with a G43 as soon as I suck it up and buy one.

Check these guys out, and THANK YOU, Brent!

BTW, as an aside,last year I was down in Texas at Bill and Joyce Wilson's sprawling ranch, helping Bill put together his book, cruising around in a UTV at sunset looking at hogs and, in general, just having a good time.

While I was there I waxed poetic about the 9mm AR-15 platform, how the pistol caliber carbines served as both wonderful training tools and, I think, one of the best choices for a home defense carbine. I also talked extensively about how well the pistol caliber carbines could be shot if "cheeked," and how accurate I had fund my 3 (Spike's Tactical pistol; JP Rifles and Stag carbines) to be.


Well, apparently Bill was paying attention:
The Wilson Combat AR9 was designed from the ground up as the new standard in pistol caliber carbine reliability. The use of common 9mm service pistol magazines makes it an ideal choice for patrol, home defense and cost-effective tactical training. 
Not simply a converted AR-15, the Wilson Combat AR9 has been specifically designed for superior reliability and maximum accuracy, while retaining the familiar handling and controls of the AR platform. The AR9 is available with your choice of pistol magazine compatibility, barrel length, custom Armor Tuff colors and other accessory options to suit your specific needs. 
Wilson Combat engineers have designed three unique AR9 lower receivers with last round bolt hold open that are compatible with the most popular 9mm service pistol magazines from GlockⓇ, BerettaⓇ and S&WⓇ. These new billet machined aluminum receiver models also accept standard AR accessories like furniture, triggers, charging handles, buttstocks and optics, and incorporate an integral trigger guard and flared magwell for fast reloading. The AR9 series of carbines has multiple unique patent-pending features that make it unique to the 9mm carbine market.

The Wilson Combat AR9 closed-bolt blowback operating system is soft shooting and reliable with a wide variety of 9mm loads and exhibits flawless feeding with all common pistol bullet shapes, including hollowpoint and +P tactical ammunition. The AR9 bolt hold open ensures reliable lockback on empty with your pistol’s factory magazines. The AR9 proprietary bolt carrier group with heavy duty claw extractor and plunger ejector is tuned for exceptional reliability.

The AR9 is also an optimized suppressor host with minimal gas blowback and enhanced accuracy over other designs. Wilson Combat carbon steel match-grade button-rifled 1-10” twist 9mm barrels ensure that the AR9 meets our stringent quality and accuracy requirements. 
The Wilson Combat AR9 can be ordered with your choice of GlockⓇ 17, S&WⓇ M&P or BerettaⓇ 92 magazine compatibility and configured as a pistol, carbine or short barreled rifle (all NFA rules apply). The AR9 is offered with your choice of fluted or non-fluted barrels in multiple lengths and various Wilson Combat designed muzzle devices.
Always nice to be of service!

I assume it will be to Bill's usual high quality and it will be everything he says it will be. I know my JP is accurate enough to shoot a "Rifleman" score in Appleseed (with Wilson Match ammo, natch) and feeds whatever I can stuff into the Glock mags. I would expect no less from Bill.

BTW, the Wilson book is at the printer! Expect copies soon.


5 comments:

James said...

9mm PCC's are a contagion recently infecting our local range 3Gun matches. No transition from pistol to rifle is required and they are scoring really low times. I'm just glad we pigeonhole them in there own twisted 3Gun class and let them fight among themselves.

A pox on them. Hackers.

Anonymous said...

PCC's are now welcome at both steel challenge and USPSA matches. USPSA provisional rules:
http://uspsa.org/document_library/2016/PCC%20Appendix%20for%20USPSA_D8_DNROI_posting3116.pdf

Brent Fernandez said...

Mr. Bane,
Thank you so much for the kind words about our product and for your patience!

I wanted to point out that the Holster Hanger is actually made by our good friends at Invictus Practical (www.invictuspractical.com). It's a great product and I wish I had come up with the idea but I would hate to take credit for someone else's work.

Again, thank you for your support!

-Brent

Jason said...

I use my Advanced Holster Mini-Concealment for my Glock 29sf-- works great! I need another one for my Glock 30sf.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post, people who are really concerned about their safety and the safety of people around them can take help from these firearms to keep themselves ready to combat any situation and this can help you in making things really safer around you all, but one must remember one thing that they must not use these guns to harm anyone.
Regards:
MA Gun License