Wednesday, February 16, 2005

FEAR of Guns...

A pretty good take from the Smallest Minority on the irrational fear of hardware:
But this is fear born of two sources: ignorance, and sensationalism. The majority in this country are like Abigail Kohn was; ignorant, fearful, and naive when it comes to firearms as she describes herself. They are made fearful of them largely because of the media, where "if it bleeds, it leads." I and many others have documented the monumental ignorance and anti-gun bigotry in the media (such as Ravenwood's recent skewering of a news report informing readers that the Bristol CT police department just up-gunned from 9mm to 40mm handguns. That's a change in bore diameter from 0.355" to over 1.5". They would have apparently decided that grenade launchers are needed, if the report had been accurate.) We've noted the media's fervent willingness to report criminal acts nationwide, while burying defensive gun uses on page D-24 of the local fishwrap. This is apparently because everybody knows that guns are only useful for criminal homicide.
It's long, but it's worth reading. One thing I found very interesting was comments from liberal blogger Inn of the Last Home's thoughts on carrying concealed weapons:
If I were to take a live, armed weapon and carry it on my person, in public, it would eat away at my sanity just as if it were emitting lethal radiation. To know that I carried an instrument of sure and certain death on my person, available and ready to be pulled out and used at a moment's notice to possibly kill...a child. A homeless person. An innocent.
That's downright creepy! Is that what the other side really thinks?

3 comments:

gal artist said...

Apparently it is. It's unbelievable the hogwash the gun control advocates come up with to try and take our guns from us.

Nice blog. Do you mind if I link you?

Anonymous said...

I have long maintained that many antigunners fear and loathe guns because they project their own insecurities on to the rest of us. They don't trust themselves to act responsibly with a weapon, so they assume that nobody else can act responsibly either. I am reminded of a comment by a very intelligent but skittish wife of a friend, who feared guns. When she asked how to store guns safely around kids, and had a particular large gun safe described to her, she remarked, "I wouldn't want that in MY house. Somebody could lock me inside!" -LIProgun, visiting from The Gun Zone

PlzenPlinker said...

I'll have to call my stepbrother and his wife (both Bristol PD) and scold them for upgunning without me! Probably could have bought a nice surplus Glock.