Friday, August 03, 2007

Home from Minneapolis

Am home from Minneapolis and the Professional Outdoor Media Association annual convention, whee I was the luncheon speaker yesterday. My talk was taken from Wednesday's podcast on the difference between political and cultural wars, and it was extremely well received.

I would have posted from the convention, but, as usual "high speed wireless" doesn't actually mean high-speed wireless in your room!

Anyhow, will be absent tomorrow because my Sweetie and I are biking the Copper Triangle, 78 miles up and over Fremont (11,318'), Tennessee (10,424') and Vail (10,666') passes...tomorrow afternoon I will very badly need BEER! And probably oxygen.

I have a lot ot right about in the cool stuff department...my Alpha Precision "car gun" came home Friday...the now working and extremely well-tuned 3-inch .44 Magnum S&W Jim Stroh built for me. He builds magnificent revolvers! I also got a Hoffner paddle holster for the P225, which I've been looking forward to for when I'm in an open carry state like Arizona or when I bundle up in winter stuff, and, finally, three of the new Magpul 30-round plastic AR magazines with the little view window. Means I gotta go to the range next week!

More later...btw, when I got to Minneapolis on Wednesday afternoon, I had two sets of directions to the hotel...one would have taken me over that bridge just in time for me to fall into the river. I used the other set...karma...

1 comment:

Overload in Colorado said...

How about bicycles and guns!

Are you ready for a different kind of fun? You are invited to attend
the upcoming Bike N Shoot biathlon. This race is in its 5th year, and
was highlighted in the Denver Post recently.
(See http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_5735610).

XXXXX and YYYYY have done this event. ZZZZZZ usually helps count
penalty laps and award prizes, but she may compete this year.

When: September 15th. Arrive by 11am for a noon start. (No conflict
with regular ACA races.)
Where: North East of Denver. See www.bikeNshoot.com for directions and
a map. Take the I-76 Bromley Lane exit eastbound. (Near Barr Lake). The
facilities are rustic. The riding is not technical, but is bumpy in
spots. It takes you along double-track over rolling prairie.
Who: Riders and responsible shooters of all abilities. Juniors as young
as 10 have completed the course. A range master ensures gun safety. You
do not ride with your gun. People come from as far south as Colorado
Springs and as far north as Wyoming.
How much: $10 per competitor (juniors too)
What: A mountain bike or a cyclocross bike. Juniors may use a .22
rifle. Adults use pistols. No scopes. (Let me know if you're an adult
and would prefer to shoot a .22 rifle than a pistol -- we may change
the rules on this.)
Why: Have fun using your cycling skills in a new way. Practice your
shooting before and after the race.

We usually have a BBQ after the event.

For more information, take a look at the descriptions and photos at
www.bikeNshoot.com. Tell your friends about this event. It's fun.

It would be very helpful if you RSVP by Monday August 6th by sending
your name, age, skill level and phone number to:
confirm@bikeNshoot.com.