Monday, August 03, 2015

Good News!

Or should I say, "News good, mon." I tweaked the first third of the feed lips of a C-Products 5.56 30-rounder using a Brownell's Magazine Lip Tool for my .458 SOCOM, a la the .458 Forums. It made the nose of the round ride up maybe a 16th of an inch higher. So I loaded up a half-dozen of the Wilson Combat .300-gr Hornady HPs, which have been the toughest to get to feed consistently,  and YES, success!

Ran like a top!

So I'm getting there with the .458 SOCOM project. My goal is to use it for an elk rifle in Colorado or New Mexico (and probably hogs in Texas for AMERICA'S RIFLE…I'll know more about that tomorrow). Also, I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I get the ACE stock installed. It is one heck of a gun! I'm agonizing on optics…right now I have a Burris AR-1X optic on it. I'm sorta thinking about a Trijicon 1-4X. With the Burris I can go with a 3X magnifier, of course.

This week when I get some spare time in the evening I'm going to do a run of .458 reloads with the Barnes TAC-TX bullets and see how it goes. I think I may have linked to this before…it's a pretty good summation, but I have to save my money to buy that helmet!

4 comments:

Lehenga sarees said...

I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else. Thanks for sharing this information.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of magazine feed-lips:

I spent considerable time on the range this past weekend, breaking-in my new all stainless Sig' .45 TCO, Commander-length slide on an "Officer's" frame gun. Beside it, I ran the Colt counter-part stainless frame-aluminum frame "CCO", same size configuration gun. I also ran my full-sized 1991A Colt stainless custom-shop gun as a reference. All three are excellent shooters in the accuracy department using a variety of "ball" and defensive loads.

My problems were occasional feed problems in any of the three, at any time. Most problems were failure to feed up and into the chamber. I had 1 stove-pipe. These failures occurred mostly with my Colt mag's that were made by an unknown maker and by Shooting Star for Colt. I also had the same problems, less often, with my Wilson's(!). The only ones that worked flawlessly were the two Sig' 6-rounders that came with the gun and a pair 8-rounders that they sent to me as a bonus.

I noticed that the Colt mag's had feed-lips that were not parallel to each other, splaying outward toward the chamber. Some of the Wilson's were like that to a lesser extent. The Sig's were dead-nuts parallel.

I also noticed variability in spring force, with the Colt's being weak to strong; the Wilson's (some +10%) stronger and the Sig's the strongest. In fact. the Sig's were so strong, that it is difficult to release the slide against the mag' spring, at "empty".

Upon inspecting the remainder of my 1911 mag's at home, I observed the same issues with feed-lips, across-the-board, including my 10mm's. I also have had the same feed reliability experience with them. My other mag's are Colt and Wilson.

So, what is the wisdom regarding parallelism of 1911 mag' feed-lips?

Life Member

P. S.: All through the day, my "kid" shot his Glock 21 and never had a single miss-feed! He has at least a thousand rounds of mixed ammo through it, with the same result, NO MISFEEDS! Damn!

Anonymous said...

To add to my previous post:

The cartridges seem to get caught on the rim by as they pass through the tapered section of the mag's feed-lips. They all seemed to be caught at just the right width, just as they should be advancing and rising into the chamber. I experienced this in each of the 3 guns. All of the mag's were stainless. Nearly all of the feed-lips were sharp. I think that I'm going to try stoning the edge on a couple of them to see if they will have less of a tendency to cut into the brass rim.

Life Member

nj larry said...

This is what the End Times look like I guess...Can you imagine WWII America allowing Japanese or German men to harass military families in the heartland? Please folks, please stay safe and aware !!!

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/08/04/fbi-middle-eastern-men-intimidating-u-s-military-families-in-colorado-wyoming/