Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hand Me My Short Sword, Pard!

So I'm sitting around watching Gladiator for the umpteenth time...what we do in life echoes in eternity...I like seige engines...I wish I had a small one in front of the Secret Hidden Bunker...I would shell the town post office until the barbarians surrendered, then it would be sack and loot time! Although given where I live, I suppose the loot would be a souvenir t-shirt and a stash of medicinal marijuana. To be sure, sacking isn't what it used to be.

I'd like to shoot a match tomorrow, but there are a couple of impediments, not the least of which is that there's not a match and it's snowing out tonight. Thusly, I will sleep late tomorrow, then run the reloading machine for a while. I've been thinking about doing some experimenting with the .44 Russsian cartridge...Hamilton Bowen claims it's super accurate when specifically chambered, as opposed to shooting it in a .44 Special or .44 Magnum. I've got a thousand rounds of Black Hills .44 Russian somewhere around here.

In the meanwhile, io9 has a handy guide to making ones' self apocalypse-ready...first, learn to make fire!
Have you ever watched one of those seasons of Survivor where one of the tribes can't figure out how to build a fire, and they don't win the flint for days and days? They can't cook their food or boil their water, and they fade fast, growing weak and ineffective until the producers take pity and slip them a Zippo when no one's looking. If you can't build a fire, you'll die.
Once you've got fire, start work on a decent catapult...

6 comments:

Tim Covington said...

While you can not easily build a siege engine now, do it when you get a chance. I am sure you have the knowledge and the resources. If I had the resources, I would build myself a small trebuchet.

Anonymous said...

I watched the Pumpkin Chunkin contest on Sci TV. Plenty of great ideas on how to shell yon village with produce.

Ratcatcher 55

Unknown said...

The 44 Russian in a 4 Russian chamber in GREAT round...8grs power pistol behind a 240grn lead bullet makes for some good shooting

Anonymous said...

http://www.trebuchet.com/

For your enjoyment Mike...

Timothy

www.valencia-3d.com said...

So, I don't actually suppose this may have success.

contactos valencia said...

Quite worthwhile info, thank you for the article.