Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Match Day



Finished another "clean" cowboy match in the mud up in Ft. Collins today...a little slower on one stage after "short-stroking" the hammer on one of my Blackhawks and had to crank all the way around to find the live round. Am starting to get a feel for running the '97 pump left-handed — it really is an advantage!

Pictured above is the ad for the to-be-introduced at SHOT Kel-Tec PMR-30 plastic fantastic .22 WRM 30 round pistol. The whole story's over on Cheaper Than Dirt, and it's pretty interesting. Oleg Volk shot the photos and you can see more here at his live journal.

You know, the concept is growing on me...sort of the ultimate backpacker's gun. Lightweight, lots of rounds, not a great personal defense gun but 30 rounds of anything can deliver a compelling message. Not the gun I'd want in bear country, but a nifty little package. At a $415 sticker, I suppose I can't live without one.


Just picked up my T&E version of the U.S. Firearms Double Eagle single action. This one's a beauty — .3 1/2-inch .44 Special, color case-hardened frame, Bisley hammer. You all know I'm crazy for .44 Specials, especially single actions. The USFAs are, like, a Colt-and-a-half in quality. I can't wait to shoot this one. I think it'd make a really nice companion piece to my Cimarron Thunderer 3 1/2 inch .44 Special. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow and post them on the blog.

7 comments:

Cemetery's Gun Blob said...

It's odd. I shoot really good with OTHER people's USFA's, but when I had mine, I shot pretty bad.

Jeff said...

The Kel-Tec could be a good backpacking sidearm, but I don't think I'll be one of the first buyers. Something about putting 30 rimmed cartridges in a double stack magazine seems like something I'll let them run for a while before I put my money on one.

Mathew Paust said...

Nearly short-circuited my keyboard drooling over the Double Eagle. Some day...in a new economy! Yeah, that's the ticket! Change! Something to live for.

While I've had great luck with my KelTecs - P32 & PF9 - and while I like this space gun in concept, it looks too much like an early paintball platform for my taste. To get one, for me, would truly be a test of tool over beauty. But, as Jeff, says, mebbe should wait awhile to see if they work.

seeker_two said...

My dad and I will be eagerly awaiting the new Kel-Tec offering...esp. having missed out on the Grendel. The .22Mag is a underestimated cartridge...giving the same performance as most non-+P .38SPL loads. This one's on my list....

Anonymous said...

Kel Tecs always seem to go through a birthing process. It would be best to wait before buying one. But I goota agree, one will be on my list.

Haji said...

I won't be surprised if it tanks. That gun shares too much in aesthetics with the FiveseveN, which has not been very popular at all. Since ammo wouldn't be that far apart in price, I'd go with 20 rounds of 5.7X28 in place of .22 mag, but I won't be giving up my Glock, MnP or 1911's for either one.

SARDUDE said...

At first glance...the Kel-Tec is ugly.
At second glance....it causes the same feeling as the old Sears Christmas Wishbook.
And upon final reflection....I lied when I said I have every gun I want......