Saturday, March 07, 2015

A Hint of Spring

We're in the middle of a big melt-off from last week's snow, so I'll be able to get a little range time this weekend. Probably working with a 9mm Glock. There's also an AR that needs sighting in.

I'm trying to make shooting plans for spring and summer around my production schedules. I know I want to do another Appleseed. I've been talking with the local Appleseed instructors about a custom event where I can invite a number of people. I'll keep you guys in the loop on that one. The He-Man is still on the schedule, but I've got a bunch of rifle and shotgun work to get ready for that one. Also the IRCs in September…I've already started reworking the Ruger GP-100 6-inch to get it just like I want it and still run 100%.

There's some other stuff I'd like to a get accomplished this spring, including getting a ham radio set-up up and running. I've got plenty of room for antennas…it'll just take a little elbow grease. I'm thinking of one of the new Yaesu FT-991s…you guys have any thoughts on that???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I have the older 897D. They're a menu heavy radio, but extremely capable. Hard to go wrong with on of the big three.

Check out the Colorado Connection. It's a statewide linked repeater system on the 2m band. It's been great at giving me state wide situational awareness when something's going on. I frequently monitor it during peak travel times, and big events like the USPCC, and the 2015 Ski Championships. I'm up in the mountains from you, but I can hit repeaters 30+ miles away and have state wide comms with very little effort. A quick google search turns up their web site.

Their net is every evening at 7:30. I check in every so often just for the fun of it.

-- Vail Valley

Fibber Magee said...

Don't know what sort of equipment you are looking for but you might want to check www.mtcradio.com.
Good people and fair pricing. If nothing else it's a good starting point...73

ELIMN8U said...

Do you have some more info available on the 'Appleseed' type of event? Old dog looking for new tricks...just acquired my first rifle/AR last year and have very limited time with it til now.

James said...

M. Bane:

Time to look into the future with a SDR system. You'll probably do better going Flex, Elecraft or similar. My station sports an portable IC-7200; but I'm fairly new at this. I'm convinced SDR is the best future path.

Also review for FT-991: http://www.eham.net/reviews/d

Great tip on Forstchen's "Day of Wrath". Keep up the great work.

James said...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12025

Sorry. Copy and paste is for kids. I'm not doing it right.