Friday, March 06, 2015

A Small Remembrance


Alf the Wonder Beagle
D: March 6, 2014
"One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: 'Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved.' 
No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail."
The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog
Eugene O'Neill

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Michael.
GW Ryder

_DonWorsham_ said...

I AM NOT THERE

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.
_unknown author

Anonymous said...

"If more humans were like dogs, the world would be a much finer place indeed."

Michael Bane said...

Hard to believe it's been a year.

…and, yes, Don, sometimes when I'm walking Newt right at dawn, just when the sun break over the mountains, or just at dusk, the moment the sun disappears behind the hills, I hear an achingly familiar bay off in the distance…Newt stops, looks into the horizon, and her tail begins a tentative wag, as if she's heard the call of a friend.

mb

Anonymous said...

If I had to choose between having a good friend and a good dog, I'd take the dog.

Jerry The Geek said...

The Wonder Beagle is .. gone? Just like that?

I'm sorry, Michael. I know about loss.

Even when you know it's bound to happen, it always somehow comes as a surprise. And we're always unprepared. We delude yourself, we say it cannot happen, but it is inexorable.

Sometime, the best you can do is not enough.