Sunday, March 01, 2015

Back from Winter Range...

…the big cowboy match in Phoenix. I shot okay — not good, but okay. There were some issues, though, that I'm going to be dealing with on Wednesday's podcast. I've given it a lot of thought today, and I think the issues are so egregious that I do need to discuss them. Enough on that until tomorrow.

I had a "slap me-self on the forehead" moment when I read this piece from Mr. RevolverGuy at the Day At The Range blog on his Ruger Alaskan .454:
At this point there was only one last thing to do, turn this revolver into the most versatile revolver I own, capable of being deployed in any situation. Since the original purchase, even before the background check was complete I was thinking Triple Threat. A revolver capable of firing 45ACP, 45LC and 454Casull. This would mean I would need to find someone I could trust to mill the cylinder on my revolver to take 45ACP moon clips.
That is absolutely totally cool! Adding .45 ACP capability, especially with moon clips, really brings the  Alaskan up another level. I usually keep .45 Colt ammo around, but I've got tons of .45 ACP. I may have to give this a shot.

4 comments:

Rob Leahy said...

I had Tom at TK customs moon clip a S&W .45 Colt Mountain Gun for me: ACPs are fairly cheap and certainly plentiful.100 bucks and a quick turnaround. the best part you just have to mail the cylinder...

Anonymous said...

I was at Winter Range on Friday - when the weather was nice :-)
Here are a few photos, mostly of mounted shooting: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dagnygromer/sets/72157650664864970

Matthew said...

I have a 625 bored for .460 Rowland. I call it my "Town and Country" revolver.

ACP, Super and Rowland on moonclips, or Auto Rim when I want to feel classy.

JohninMd.(HELP?!??) said...

Hmmm. Here's a weird thought. A revolver capable of handling .357 Max., Mag., Sig, .38 SPL., and all flavors of rimless 9 MM? A gun for all things .45, and one for all things .36........