Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Running in mud...


...some trips go smoother than others...in the meantime, here's me working on a new holster for one of the Schofield .44 Russians...need to finish stitching, then wet-fit the gun, then finish the leather...when I finish, I'll start on holster #2....I also want to build a Doc Holliday style shoulder holster for the Hamilton Bowen .44 Vaquero, which'll be my packing pistol fpr hiking this summer...assuming there is a summer...23 degrees, snow and a 50 mph gusting wind at the Secret Hidden Bunker this afternoon!

Definitely listen to the podcast tomorrow AM, where I elaborate on my earlier posts (not the one about the mouse, either)...

-- Post From The Road

4 comments:

iainmcphersn said...

Looking good. I like the stitching pony clamp. Are you dying these or just an oil finish?

Tim/GA said...

I have not done a leather holster (kydex only so far) but have a bit of experience stitching leather for re-enacting (at Fort King George in Darien Georgia-shameless plug). Mainly sword belts, frogs and cartridge boxes. We have a saying here: the item is not done until it has some of your blood on it. Those needles we use for stitching with the waxed thread are wicked! Any blood on that holster yet?

Michael Bane said...

Yep on the blood...my Sweetie called me, I turned my head and in that moment of inattention drove the right needle into my left index finger. Ouchies! I'm thinking of just oiling the holster to finish it...I wish I could use the stuff we used in John Bianchi's class, but it's only available in 8 gallon lot.

The crossdraw I'm gong to build for the Vaquero I will die to a darker color.

My Sweetie has a very specific belt she wants, but she''s grading my leatherwork and I'm still not there yet!

BTW, the stitching pony is from Douglas Tools in Sheridan, WY.

mb

Anonymous said...

Will you share the load you are using for the .44 Russian? At least Black or Smokeless.