Wednesday, July 22, 2015

If You've Got Money Burning a Hole in Your Pocket...

I thought I might address this post to the pepper community. There's always a lot of talk within that community about having a solid bolt-action rifle as a hunting gun or an adjunct to the AR-15 platform carbine, which should of course be the first long gun purchase. Somehow, that discussion invariably returns to a Mosin Nagant as the ideal choice. I once got a long lecture on how the Mosin was not only the equal of model rifles, but surpassed them in many ways, so the smart move was to buy an inexpensive Mosin and "build it up."

The person pointed me to the now huge Mosin aftermarket — stocks, bent bolts and custom knobs, accurizing, triggers, barrels, sights, magazines, scope mounts, rails, etc.

Okay, color me confused. As a fan and owner of custom rifles, I'd have to say that all the Mosin stuff is indeed cool. and you can build up really neat custom rifle.  Plus I understand the appeal of old military guns...my father spent many many happy hours building up a couple of Swedish 6.5 X 55 Mausers and one really ugly Turkish Mauser, which he kept in the 8mm Turk caliber.

But that's all about building a custom rifle, not having a good bolt gun around for hunting or back-up self-defense uses. Yes, you can still find Mosins on the cheap — $169 at Cabelas, for instance, or Classic Firearms selling them by the crate for $180 a pop per gun. Or pick one up on Gunbroker.com for maybe less. But after you spend the money to soup it up, you're approaching the $1K or above number.

If I was in the market for a good, inexpensive bolt gun, I'd have to take a long hard look at CDNN's July sale on Ruger Americans — .308s at a penny under $300, with scope mounts; a black 30-06 for roughly $280. We had one of the 30-06s in Africa a couple of years ago, and it was a workhorse gun. I would take the .308, shop around for a good scope in the $150-200 range (there are plenty from all the major manufacturers) and go from there.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are some "first-rate" guns now showing up on CDNN's liquidation site? Rugers? Para's? Etc?

Re; The Mosin Rifle: My son and I both have box-stock Mosin 91/30s and we have no plans to upgrade them in any way. We enjoy shooting them and experience very good iron-sighted accuracy even with corrosive surplus ammo'. We do prefer modern ammo though. The kid can consistently hit clay pigeons hung at 100 yards, as long as he aims about 9 inches below them, as the front sight pin is calibrated to 200 meters, according to our Ruskie former soldier friend. Then, just to make us old guys look bad, the kid racks the bolt and catches the spent case just as it passes behind his right ear, without even looking for it.

The Mosins are not only fun guns, they will be our "TEOTWAWKI" guns.

Life Member

Anonymous said...

CDNN makes its living grabbing up odd lots of discontinued models and the casualties of mergers and acquisitions. Paras are on the site because the Big Green Borg (aka Remington) sucked up the company and is relocating it yet again. Years ago I got a Steyr Scout for half price as Steyr changed U.S. importers. I've spent entirely too much money at CDNN, because their stuff is literally a case of "they don't make them like that anymore".

nj larry said...

Wait one second MB. You seemed to have pulled a Donald Trump on the sub-sub-sub culture of the Finnish M39 crowd (me included). The Finns took those Czarist Tula receivers and did what any good Finn would do. Turn it into a classic war gun ! Not for nothing but Simo Häyhä still has the record for sniping ! And with what may I ask? Yes a converted real Ruskie Moisin Nagant. Converted into tada....a Finn laser weapon (M28). New stock, new barrel, new sights. Good enough for 400 yard kills in 40 below zero weather. A real rifle. No plastic. Iron sights. Real cartridge - 7.62x54R. And if you run out of ammo it can be used to beat your opponent to death. Or serve as the tent pole for the waxed canvas tent tarp, ala Col Whelen or Bradford Angier. You can pick up VERY nice Finnish bolt guns for around 350 dollars and you don't have to do a darn thing to them.

_DonWorsham_ said...

MB,
Finally got to the range with my Ruger American in .308 (will be my hog gun if I ever go hunt hogs). I got the Redfield scope with it. Since I'm not a rifle guy, it took me 11 rounds to get it zeroed. But then I enjoyed the "glang" out at 100 yards, so I'm happy.

As to the Nagant, I shot one today and had no trouble hitting the steel at 100 yards AND my friend insisted the bayonet stay on! My son has one with a much better action and trigger (he did the work) and I told my friend I hated his trigger. But it shot well enough for me.

Anonymous said...

While we're talkin' Mosin-Nagants and 7.62 X 54 cartridge, does anyone have a pet hand load for them? I've been using the loads spec'ed in the Hogdon guide using long-discontinued Winchester brass, Federal primers, Varget powder and Remington 150 gr. SPCL bullets. Case life is short, due to the loose chambering of these battle guns. (Before I bought our guns, I invested in a set of head-space and chamber gauges, to verify that our guns were to spec'. They are.) Even with various factory loads, they all deform the primers and stretch the cases. Steel cases survive the best, but are not reloadable.

Life Member

Tom said...

CDNN printed catalogs use to say "Factory Seconds" on their low priced items.. It is a liquidator..

alfsauve said...

I got a 91/30 from AIM for $99. I cut barrel down to 18" and the stock to match. invested in an aftermarket front sight mount. So for <$150 and little time finishing off the stock and tinkering with shaping the crown I have a really compact, knockabout .30 caliber rifle.
I wouldn't "invest" any more money on it.

For something more modern up-to-date there so much better .308 options out there including Tikka and Mossberg to spend money on.

https://sauve.smugmug.com/Gun-General/i-nM4bkZ5/0/XL/IMG_0385-XL.jpg

Michael Bane said...

Hey Alf...

I believe in the GUNSITE Scout...of course, I would!

My first "project rifle" was an 1891 Argentine Mauser carbine in 7.65 Argie...still have it. Still shoots great. Sort of set the tone for my love of Scout rifles...

mb

David said...

Gunsite Scout is the bolt gun behind my AR (a Daniel Defense custom build).

Vince Warde said...

Michael, there is one thing you don't have with the modern bolt guns that you do have with old military rifles: Charger loading capability. If we are talking inexpensive bolt gun to augment an AR, as opposed to a simple hunting rifle, this is significant.

I built my scout rifle off a Yugo Mauser. I cut down and bedded the stock, added a Bold trigger, a recoil pad, and - of course - a scope mounted in the Scout location. I also added a longer, turned down bolt handle. Less than $300.00 total (plus a lot of time) and I ended up with an 8x57 that shoots into 1.5 moa. The same thing could easily be done with a Mosin.

Yes, the Ruger Gunsite Scout is super nice - but many of us cannot afford the cost of the rifle and several AI mags........

Linda Rose said...

Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was practical.
Baixar Facebook | Facebook Baixar | Baixar Facebook Gratis |Traffic Rider | Traffic Rider Jogo | Traffic Rider Baixar |Facebook Lite | Baixar Facebook Lite |