Sunday, January 16, 2005

Computer Hell Continues...

It's 5:40PM Sunday, and so far I have gotten up from my computer to eat lunch and feed the fish! Oh yeah, and to get beer.

For the life of me I couldn't make my Sweetie's PC recognize either my network or a "mini-network" suing a crossover cable. I didn't have a USB HD or CD burner around here, so we sucked it up and copied off all the data onto 250-meg Zips. SNORE, NOD! Later, we can watch paint dry!

I am probably four hours away from finishing up the salvage job on the Damned H-P! I have even installed a new version of AOL, the John Kerry of software, for my Sweetie on my Cube! God, what a kludged-together piece of crap AOL is! Can't they hurry up and go bankrupt? They're even anti-gun.

Do you think when guacamole turns brown, you can still eat it? I'll let you know!

I have copied her data onto the Cube's HD and the new external HD, plus burned a back-up copy onto CDs through the newly updated Toast software. Everything is clean, clean, clean...if she wants to buy a new box and give me back my poor Cube, it will be a SIMPLE MATTER to change boxes. I love my Cube. It's the only computer I've ever had the slightest emotional relationship with. I totally understand why Cube owners, who are, in effect, the cargo cultists of the computer world, refuse to give 'em up and spend thousands to upgrade them to be almost as good as a new iMac. It's sort of like those people who keep updating their 1911s until they're almost as good as an out-of-the-box SIG.

Obsession is an amazing thing. I need some Advil.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Funny ---- I spent my day resuscitating an H-P box as well. I actually moved the guts into a larger case to deal with some serious heat issues. After seeing all the places where H-P cut corners, I'm either building my next box or switching to Apple.
Thanks for the entertainment --- I check in almost every day, for the dose of humor and the kick start to the brain.....

Nik Habicht.