Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HAPPY PRE-THANKSGIVING

Well, the newspaper this AM — remember newspapers? I do...I have parrots whose cages need lining — had a recipe for creamed Brussel sprouts and bacon. Yum! Reminds me of when my Mom, who was one of the 3 worst cooks on earth, sent a whole Thanksgiving party to the emergency room with a casserole of canned English peas, Velvetta and 2-day-old warm mayonaise. I, of course, fed my portion to the dog, who threw up.



Watched THE SHIELD series finale last night, and it was everything the SOPRANOS series finale wasn't. Michael Chiklis's brilliantly acted amoral antihero Vic Mackey did indeed get what he deserved — a Dilbert-sized cubicle for him to ponder the destruction of all he had hoped, the betrayal of friends, the loss of family, etc. Walton Goggins breathtaking high-wire act as the desinigrating Shane Vendrell, groping his way to the only kind of nightmarish redemption he could imagine, kept me on the edge of my seat...CCH Pounder closing out the role of a lifetime.

If you like great acting, download the episode when you can.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our mothers must have been related.

Anonymous said...

A great show, but I was disappointed with the ending. I would have liked to see Vic go out in a blaze of glory, instead of denigrated to an office nebish. I think he deserved better.

Anonymous said...

The Shield was fantastic. This was a phenomenal season that kept the viewer on the edge of the seat every step of the way. It was like a Tuesday night adrenaline rush. Chiklis and the entire cast deserve a whole bunch of Emmy nominations and awards. Absolutely incredible!

Anonymous said...

Hi, nice blog!
I love Thanksgiving day very much. I found a site with a lot of things about Thanksgiving. Maybe this will interest you: All about Thanskgiving Day!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the Emergency room, those of us on the Forum are still waiting to hear about the "Horseradish Pickles"

Scott said...

Try roasting them there brussel sprouts. 1/2 them and toss in olive oil put them on a baking sheet salt and pepper to taste. place in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Way better than creaming them.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that Vic took out his gun (Desert Eagle, come on Vic...) with a smile and went out into LA. Taking a leap here, but perhaps he went looking for trouble?

Anonymous said...

My mom ranks #4 on that last.... there are only like 4 things she can actually cook well.

Happy T-Day!

Anonymous said...

Season finale was great, I think I speak for everyone when I say we knew Shane would be the dead one, but damn was I surprised how he went!

Anonymous said...

An excellent ending to an excellent series. The show's final scene suggested to me that Vic, having destroyed his family, friends and reputation, and sentenced to a job that was a prison in itself, was looking to either kill himself...or seek out a situation that would get him killed.

Sigh. Now I'm offically out of shows to watch...until "24" comes back on in January...

--Wes S.