Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Musings...

Lies--there you have the religion of slaves and taskmasters. Truth is the god of the free man.

Maxim Gorky
Russian novelist, playwright.
The Lower Depths (1902)

...which is a nice way of saying I don't actually have anything to say. I got the quote from Joe Huffman, and I thought it was particularly appropriate today as we find out how many actual men and women of principle are left in the House of Representatives. I suspect the answer is, "Not enough." More than anything else, I am saddened that it has come to this pathetic display, this mockery of the principles America was founded on. Remember "Consent of the governed?" Sigh...November's coming.

This great commentary from Mike Flynn at Andrew Breitbart's Big Government website says it far better than I can:
While the legal battles wage on, expect an enormous public back-lash against the Democrats. Longtime political observers will recall the backlash after Democrats passed a “catastrophic health care” bill in the 80s. That event pales in comparison to what is brewing. Yesterday, around 30,000 people protested on the steps of the Capitol, an event that was organized in just a little over 24 hours. In cities throughout the country, protests and rallies broke out, each attended by hundreds of citizens with only a few hours notice. This kind of spontaneous public outcry has never happened in any of our lifetimes. Today, many of these protesters are buoyed by a faith that reason will prevail and the Democrats will stand down from their position of willful disdain for the American people. If that doesn’t happen tonight, then we will have fallen into totally unchartered territory. It is without hyperbole that I say I am at times afraid of what may ensue.
I have told my Democrat friends–yes, I have many–that they are missing the simple fact that people are really scared today. The economy is nowhere close to recovering and, in some places, may be getting worse. Millions of people have been unemployed for a very long time and untold millions more live in fear of it. Spending, deficits and debt have grown beyond the hypothetical world of economists and into a realm that the average person understands. Against this, the Democrats are now steaming towards the greatest expansion in government ever and, more importantly, into the part of our lives that commands our deepest fears, our health and mortality. That they have done so in an openly corrupt manner, with side deals, special exemptions, special interest favors and patronage (a judgeship, really?), betrays a contempt for the legislative and political process that is almost unfathomable. Worse, they raise the specter that the government is an interest, separate, distinct and opposed to the people.
The Democrats cannot do this. Sure, they may get the votes to pass the Senate bill tonight, but ultimately they will be defeated. A representative democracy cannot long endure a political class that is so out of touch with the populace. In some respects, what happens tonight is almost beside the point. The politics are set. Some Democrats are deluding themselves that they can put this behind them and somehow survive in November. They are most assuredly wrong.
Read the whole thing...it is major food for thought!

There was a cowboy match this AM, but with 10 inches of new snow and the temp not exactly soaring, I wussed out. I still need to do some more reloading anyway. I spent last week writing, catching up on the columns I occasionally write for the COWBOY CHRONICLE and working on my new book, THE NEW SURVIVAL GUNS. If there's interest, I'll post the book's introduction next week here on the blog.

10 comments:

Joe said...

Michael-I'd love to see an introduction to Survival Guns.

Dan said...

Our current Congress does NOT have the consent of the governed. This will end badly for them, one way or another with today's vote.

Elvis Presley said...

Ooh ooh! I'd love to see the introduction! Thanks for being so generous (hopefully).

bluesun said...

But then, I wonder--who will these corrupt politicians be replaced with? The only ones who run are ones who are already entrenched in the system. I don't remember ever seeing a normal, everyday man run for the senate--even the ones who aren't politicians are celebrities with more money then they know what to do with...

Anonymous said...

There is interest! If we weren't interested in your writing, we would not read your blog Mr Bane.

Not Available said...

I'll read the Survial Guns intro right after I finish FTG or maybe not.

Michael Bane said...

Okay-dokey...I'll post it tomorrow...

mb

Joe Doaks said...

The healthcare bill isn't about healthcare! It's about getting the middle class on the dole, making us all clients of the welfare state. How can I argue that govt should be smaller, cheaper and less effective, when they control my daughter's insulin supply?

You think the Democs don't know they're facing Waterloo in November? They do. The only possible conclusion is that they're willing to take the hit in order to gain a permanent democ majority in just a few more years.

And the fact that they can spend the rest of their lives running on promises of 'reform,' is just gravy.

.

Anonymous said...

Please post! The original was great, I look forward to your take on Tappen's concept.

super said...

What i find difficult is to find a blog that may seize me for a minute but your blog is different. Bravo.
Verona Hotels