Thursday, July 25, 2013

Orbiting Near the Secret Hidden Bunker

We got 5 scenarios done for the 2014 season of THE BEST DEFENSE, and they are just super! These  scenarios are in direct response to viewer requests...we think you'll really like them!

I've decided I'm going to shoot the Media/Staff Crimson Trace Midnight 3-Gun this year. I probably won't be changing much over last year, depending on what I get put together before the mid-August match. I'm still bummed that I didn't get to shoot the Ruger Rimfire Worlds...it was the right decision given our production issues at the match, but I hate it when work cuts into my shooting...LOL! Maybe I can get in a state match or so before the end of the year.

Did I mention that I picked up the Africa rifle, a Ruger Guide Gun in .300 Win Mag?

UPDATE...I did carve a few minutes out late this afternoon to go to the range after dealing with still more stuff on the Potential New Secret Hidden Bunker (anybody who tells you money is loosening up is lying through their teeth, BTW). I managed to get my Sweetie's rifle re-sighted in with the Leupold 1.5-4X Firedot I used down in Whittington while we're waiting for the Swaro to come back from the shop. The Millett I slapped on the SR-556e wasn't even on paper at 100 yards, and with a storm coming in I bagged sighting it in until another day...after I find my laser sighter to save myself some time.

I did manage to get off a few rounds from the Africa rifle with the iron sights on it with Black Hills 180-gr TSX.  I remain amazed at how well the muzzle brake on the Guide Guns (which I believe I have to remove for Africa, since everybody knows only terrorists have muzzle brakes) works. I'll get the glass next week, and the Leupold VX6 2-12X IR is definitely high on the list. Am also looking at the Burris Fullfield E1 3-9X IR.

I also got to shoot the Rock Island 9mm hi-cap Jim Anglin at Sailor's Pistols has been overhauling and that came home last week. Sweet! Shoots like a house-afire.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new rifle Michael. Now take a look at the Leupold VX-6 line for a scope. They are bright, have a great fire dot setup, crisp reticles and 6 times magnification so you can have a 1 -6 variable or a 2 - 12 variable. Super quick for in close quick shots, but still more than enough magnification for the 300 Win Mag to reach out to it's maximum range.

clark myers said...

Given your praise/lament for the Ruger Scout why not a Steyr Dragoon for a rifle with a little more oomph? Be nice for those who'd buy the few dozen that would actually sell to have a Ruger Scout in say 9.3x62.

I'm not sure there's enough difference to matter in the .308 and .300 Win Mag cartridge at normal Scout ranges - As somebody said in comparing the .45 ACP and 10mm I suspect the .300 Win mag and the .308 will do the same but the .300 Win Mag will do it at longer ranges.

But that's why I have a Dragoon myself. I sort of think real extra oomph starts with the 9.3X62 and up.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I hope that the new "secret hidden bunker" IS NOT in the once-great state of "Kali-rahdo".

Life Member

P. S.: Ref. Clark's comment; I have a Ruger 77RS (rifle-sighted) Stainless Steel model with the skeleton-ized synthetic stock in .300 Remington Mag'. It's topped with a 3-9 X 50mm Leupold and quick-detach' mount. It is my "Apocalypse gun". I also carry my Smith and Wesson "1006" 10mm semi-auto. Both offer better reach-out than my 30-'06s and .45s. You "nailed it".

Anonymous said...

Muzzle brakes are hated by PH's in Africa. They are used by folks who don't realize PH's and trackers are going to be standing right beside them when they shoot. Blown out eardrums make them really pissy for a day or so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Something I would love to see you do/make would be a book/video/detailed segment on radio/tv on buidling a home with self defense considerations in mind. I've read what Cooper has written and talked to Loui Awerbuck about the topic. Since you have and are likley going to be doing it again, just curious on your thoughts are. Obviously, your podcasts have info peppered in them from time to time. Much like your concealed carry video, it would be nice to have a big download in one location. Keep up the good work.

PS What do you consider to be good states to live in these days? I'm forced becuase of job commitments to reamine in occupied CA.