Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday Pole Dancing


Okay, I was going to talk about the rising trend of pole dancing as an exercise alternative for women...get your own pole dancing kit, complete with spring-loaded pole, mat, garter and 100 "dancing dollars," which can be conveniently stuffed into said garter...but I decided instead to focus on more important issues, like this one from the BBC:
A Dutch TV station says it will go ahead with a programme in which a terminally ill woman selects one of three patients to receive her kidneys.
Political parties have called for The Big Donor Show to be scrapped, but broadcaster BNN says it will highlight the country's shortage of organ donors.

"It's a crazy idea," said Joop Atsma, of the ruling Christian Democrat Party.

"It can't be possible that, in the Netherlands, people vote about who's getting a kidney," he told the BBC.
Ah, we tend toward a Philip K. Dick universe! Or maybe a Stephen King universe...naw, I gotta go with PKD, because he had a better grip of the whole package as society slides off the end of the world with the gravity of the entire polar icecap sloughing into the ocean. Go read The Man in the High Castle or settled down with the remastered director's cut of Blade Runner, still the best PKD on film.

Today's going to be a hectic day, getting ready for tomorrow on DOWN RANGE. I want to roll out some PARA USA guns and maybe another shooting tip, depending on how editing goes today. On the Wednesday podcast, I'm talking about a package I received from ace gunsmith Wayne Novak!

BTW, I purchased a rowing machine this weekend — a Waterrower Natural, which uses water as the resistance for the rower. This action was precipitated (right word?) by a bicycle ride my Sweetie and I did this weekend, from a little Colorado town right off the Interstate, Frisco, up to the top of Vail Pass. Any ride up to a Colorado mountain pass is not chopped liver, but the ride up Vail is truly beautiful. I realized the lower half of my body is in great shape...the upper part, however, is lagging. I lift weights sporatically, but it's a lot harder to be a gym rat when the gym is 20 miles away down a steep mountain road...I know...whine whine...I do spend time on the Spinner bike and the industrial strength treadmill in the basement during the 11 1/2 months of winter, so I figured a rowing machine in my office might do the trick. I pick it up today, so I'll let you know.

Of course my real problem is FOOD...I eat it...last weekend, for example, I cooked a birthday dinner for my Sweetie's brother. Menu included grilled Copper River salmon, New Mexico-style spicy baked beans and potato salad made with a cumin/red pepper/olive oil/vinegar/garlic sauce mixed with with chopped anaheim peppers, scallons, capers and Yukon Gold potatoes, served with an Oregon pinot noir from Rex Hill.

Don't worry! No recipes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Rex Hill winery is about 5 miles from the most comprehensive shooting facility in Oregon – the Tri-County Gun Club. Too bad we can't imbibe the way they do during Switzerland's bi-annual national schutzenfest!

Not Available said...

You are killing me with your food posts, just killing me. I'm hungry damn it. Shoot more rounds, that's it!

Anonymous said...

2 words for us Fat Old B(oys):

Bodyweight exercises

Anonymous said...

Michael,
If you would have bought a Concept Two rower. Which is cheaper. Better maybe. You could log your meters online. Join a Virtual Team. I am on the Prarieland Strokers. I think it helps with motivation. Be part of a exercise family. I just hit Two million meters on my Model D. 200000 for the month of May. Good Stuff. Maybe you cked them out and thought the waterower was better. Regards