Thursday, May 03, 2007

Yikes! One Quick Day @ Home

Threw the now-working Pro Point II on the 10/22 Target; packed guns, includindg Vampire .22 pistol and S&W M-41 so it wouldn't be lonely; packed video gear; packed Internet gear; packed underwear and away we go tomorrow AM to the Ruger Rimfire Challenge at the Hogue Range in lovely Morrow Bay, CA.

You guys are going to be kicking yourselves in your sorry butts for NOT signing up for this match...there are, like, 30 count 'em — guns on the prize table, plus a whole crate of other cool stuff! NOOOOOOOOO, I can't win anything, except the ever-lasting love of match direction Lisa "Boom-Boom" Farrell, plus a complete collection of Lisa Farrell trading cards...I don't even get a freakin' t-shirt, otherwise! Still...

And I NEVER found the darn Fowler/Pride scope...now I gotta call up and explain to Mickey and John that aliens stole my scope, probably attempted an anal probe on it, and I need a new one. They'll buy that, right? Right?

Here's a nice summation piece on gun control from NRO:
In Washington, few politicians have rushed forth with rash demands to “do something.” Congress may even be headed toward passing reasonable legislation that unites gun owners with some of their traditional foes, in the name of preventing people with dangerous mental illnesses from buying firearms.

To some degree, this reflects a new bipartisan consensus in favor of Second Amendment rights. Six years ago, after the defeat of Al Gore, an antigun crusader, many Democrats concluded that they could not afford to continue alienating union members and rural voters. One of the reasons so many new Democrats were elected to the House and Senate last year is that they embraced gun ownership, neutralizing what had previously been a strong advantage for Republicans.
And yes, I think people who have been ajudicated "mentally defective" or who have been involuntarily committed should NOT be able to purchase gun. Sorry. It is hard to involuntarily commit someone. People who hear the dog telling them to start stalking people or who spend a lot of time fanticizing about Nazi Germany need to be in the system. And, yes, of course, there should be some kind of judicial review procedure to get those rights back should your brain return from Narnia.

Maybe that makes me less than absolute, but I do think there are things we as a culture need to get a grip on. I'm also profoundly sick of that empty suit Paul Helmke from Brady...good lord, is he really as stupid as he sounds? If he is, he might actually have trouble feeding himself...and FORGET potty breaks! This guy probably has Velcro on his pants, since I suspect a zipper is beyond his meager horsepower...I've heard smarter paper shredders. Here's the latest, from a Chicago Tribune piece fretting over guns in Texas, where the BBQ is in fact better than Chicago:
Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, said Perry's idea is a recipe for more mayhem, especially because ordinary citizens, unlike police, are not trained to use weapons in the midst of a crisis.

"In a shoot 'em up situation, it's tough for the person to get their gun quickly, to use it properly, to not become the first person the gunman kills, to not be the person the police think is the bad guy when they do respond," Helmke said. "Life is not like the movies."
Ouuuuuuweeeeeee...normal people are just such...such...ouuuuuweee...klutzes! Well, I guess if you can't work a zipper, a gun's pretty scary. OTOH, once you've been the mayor of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, I guess it's all downhill from there. How about this, Paul...I 100% agree YOU should never own a gun, a knife, a sharp pencil or, heaven forbid, a computer with Internet access. You'll only hurt yourself, you being so freaking normal and all. And Sarah, why don't why don't you go to one of those old circus chimp rescue places and see if you can find a smarter spokesperson?

8 comments:

Sevesteen said...

In re: Paul Helmke's comments: I know exactly how long it takes me to get my gun and hit an IPSC target with my carry gear. While it's slower than I'd like, I'm near certain it's faster than a mass shooter will be able to identify me as a threat out of a crowd of panicking people and do something about it.

Anonymous said...

Nice smackdown. I might have to use that "if you can't operate a zipper, a gun might be scary" quip.

Anonymous said...

I still think the Dems are just biding their time on this. Wait and see how pro-gun they are if they get one of their own in the White House. They will turn on gun owners so quick it will make your head spin.

Not Available said...

What a life. Jetting here and jetting there.

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date.
No time to say hello, good-bye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late
I'm late and when I wave, I lose the time I save.
My fuzzy ears and whiskers took me too mych time to shave.
I run and then I hop, hop, hop, I wish that I could fly.
There's danger if I dare to stop and here's a reason why:
I'm over-due, I'm in a rabbit stew.
Can't even say good-bye,
hello, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

Enjoy the shoot!

Michael Bane said...

Worsham!

Hello, I must be going!

mb

Anonymous said...

Best thing I read today...

Not Available said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Helmke is not an idiot.

He is merely evil. If he was an idiot, he might have an excuse.