Mr Bane, How and when did you become a authority on all things concealed carry?? I watch all of the show [I'm assuming THE BEST DEFENSE...mb] and up til now have been able to keep my mouth shut. Its obvious that you have NO idea how and why concealed carry options work. I live in [the Deep South] where the heat reaches over 110* degrees for months on end. On the latest show you said that a side holster would be the best option for beginners (OWB). Larger clothes would need to be bought. A vest is a good option. How stupid could you be.? Not only are your options ridiculous, their heat unfriendly and fashion unfriendly. Where and when did you become such a authority??? You need to sue your instructor and slap yourself for being so arrogant and ignorant. When is the last time you have seen someone in this heat wear a vest or wear a OWB holster with a light shirt???? Try bending over in a store with a OWB holster with a full or compact gun. You need to stop preaching your egotistical ideas and leave those to the experts.Fair questions, which I'm answering because he signed his name:
1) I lived in Florida where it was hot, hot, hot...much of my experience in carrying concealed weapons I learned in the miserable heat/humidity of the Sunshine State.
2) When I'm in Florida or the other blistering hot southern states, I routinely carry with an OWB holster (usually a Blade-tech) underneath a vest or a loose shirt. Does it conceal was well as an IWB? No. Does it provide adequate concealment in most situations? You bet. My standard wear in Florida is shorts, sandals, t-shirts and Duluth Trading summer weight vest with a J-frame on an OWB. Works for me and has since the 1980s. BTW, I learned this from my good friend Scott Smith back when he and I were running for USPSA President. I was staying at his house in western Pennsylvania and fretting about IWB carry...I noticed Scott, who had on shorts and a t-shirt, just clipped a Blade-tech on his Wilderness Tactical belt, threw on a vest and we went to dinner. Hmmmmmmm...I thinks....easy is better.
The correct way to wear a Hawaiian "concealed carry" shirt!!!
3) There are scores of Hawaiian-style shirts designed for concealed carry from Wilderness Tactical, EOTAC and others. Heck, I have logo'ed Hawaiian shirts from GUNSITE, for heaven's sake, I wear all summer with shorts and an OWB, and the only comment I've ever gotten was people asking where they could get one of the shirts.
4) Bending over in a store? One of the first things you learn when you start carrying concealed weapons is that there are some unconscious movements you have to unlearn...and bending over from the waist is one of them. Hooking your hands in the front of your jacket and pulling back...anything that makes the gun print through your clothes. Hey, sorry, you wanna CCW there are going to be some changes in the way you act.
5) I have said repeatedly that there are always off-body carry options, including the super good SafePacker from Wilderness Tactical (who has never given me one penny of ad money, BTW). Off-body comes with different challenges, which we'll get into in Season 3.
6) As far as fashion, dude, I can't help you there. As I've said repeatedly (and on TBD many times) everyone's situation is unique. If fashion is important to you, you're going to have to figure out how CCW works with what you're willing to wear. OC gets quite literally hundreds of requests from people who want to know where I buy my utterly tasteless Hawaiian/rodeo shirts...go figure...Hope that answers your questions.