Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In the Studio Today...

...with the video podcast and wrapping up the audio podcast. One thing that really struck me at the NRA show was how many people who's primary contact with Down Range is through the audio podcast...interesting!


I wanted to mention that my good friend Larry Weishuhn now has a signature Thompson/Cener Encore package with his name on it. Here's the press release from Ammoland:
The new Encore pistol bears Weishuhn’s signature on the right side of the blued receiver along with his personal antler logo created in gold inlay. The esthetically pleasing handgun remains true to its original platform with its single-shot break open design and interchangeable barrel capabilities. The blued frame Encore Pro Hunter is chambered in .308 and is standard with a 15-inch blued barrel with fluting. As part of the package, each Encore pistol will be shipped with a new Nikon Encore pistol scope, Pachmayr grips and a soft carrying case. The pistol features Thompson/Center’s patented automatic hammer block safety with bolt interlock and a highly accurate precision barrel. The Larry Weishuhn Signature Series package will have an MSRP of $1,199.
I ran into Larry for a few minutes and he was pretty stoked about the gun. It got my attention because I've had Contenders for, like, 30 years — mostly to experiment with stupid calibers...I was the first on my block with 10-inch 45-70 barrel from J.D. Jones back when 45-70 was still obscure. I shot a .308 Encore at Boomershoot and it reminded me of what big fun it was to lob big pistol calibers at distant targets. Might be something single-shot-ish in my future.

I wanted to answer a comment from yesterday's post on the utility of 12 gauge Quick Strips for pumps and semiauto shotguns...I see the utility mostly in 3 pretty specific areas — ammo sorting and ammo storage. As most of you know from the podcast, I'm more a fan of single round reloading than long tubes on defensive shotguns. My primary defensive shotgun is a Vang Comp 870, which does come with a tube. Once the tube is empty I don't care about it one way or the other...rather, I'll simply single-load the pump. IMHO, it is faster to single-load than trying to stoke the tube (and if I was taking a shotgun class, I might pull the tube to take some of the weight off the gun). The reloads are loose in bag on my left side. I now have 6 slugs in the Quick Strip in the bag...that way I can tell the slugs from the buckshot by feel and I don't have the added weight of 4 or 5 slug rounds in a carrier on the gun. Ammo storage should be self-explanatory...I keep ammo with my stubby Super-Shorty 870, for example. Six rounds of TAPS buckshot and 6 slugs should get me home. Having the ammo oriented on the strips makes it wasier to carry than loose shells in a pocket as well...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

MB,

RE: 12 gauge quickstrips. If it works for you, great! I still don't see it. I would rather have a bandoleer, I think, for single loading.

ericire12 said...

Just out of curiosity..... what role is that Super Shorty serving, Michael?

RVN11B said...

Close in zombie stomper???

ExurbanKevin said...

Well, that's how I got started with all of this. Thanks to Cox Cable dragging its feet on bringing The Outdoor Channel, it was a good year or more of just the podcasts for me before I saw one minute of Wednesday Night At The Range. The podcasts are informative, entertaining (Yes, Top Gear *is* the best show on TV (after Mythbusters) that's not on The Outdoor Channel), varied, and most of all, short. I can't commit 3 hours of each day to a gun podcast and I can't stand firearms enthusiasts that hide in their bunkers waiting for the black helicopters to swoop down and pick them up. Shooting guns is *fun*, and your podcasts and TV shows really highlight that fact, and that's why I like 'em.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. Those N8^2 holsters look fantastic! Have you tried one yourself?

Louis said...

Quote:
One thing that really struck me at the NRA show was how many people who's primary contact with Down Range is through the audio podcast...interesting!

This may be due to the show not only being on cable/sat. but also most of the providers put it as only available at extra cost. Often as part of a sports package to make it even more expensive.

Todd said...

I'm not willing to pay even more to my cable company to get the tier with the Outdoor channel, so I've not seen the TV show although I've been listening to the podcast & reading the blog for several years. Every now and then I check iTunes to see whether you've got episodes available for purchase there yet... just checked again.. still waiting!

John Richardson said...

I hope you saw the Bison Bull in 45-70 by Single Six Classic at the NRA show. Now THAT was a mega-revolver. The thing must have weighed 6 or 7 pounds!

John Richardson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel E. Watters said...

For reloading, the QuickStrips only make sense if you are running a break-open/swing-open action.

Unknown said...

In addition, you will bghviyr make a massive evaluation together with some other Oakley Sunglasses Cheap coming from some other spectacles Half X Oakley online retailer. You may edge Oakley Sunglasses Discount a whole lot coming from spectacles online retailer. In Sale Oakley Sunglasses, the particular shape just isn't the Oakley Jawbone key portion. each of which provides individual rewards or perhaps attributes. And also Oakley Stpl Jawbone fruit associates can easily specifically improve distinction inside overcast, hazy and also Half X low-light ailments. Once you've received the particular prescribed, it is possible to head to look for for almost any best Oakley Sunglasses Outlet.