Friday, May 14, 2010

A Minor Surprise...

I'm good with the Ruger LCRs in .357 — although, in truth, I'd shoot .38s in 'em and won't trade in my .38 LCR  — and I liked the shorter version of the SR-556 gas piston gun...the Remington 1911 R1 is, at $699 MSRP, a keeper and a steal for a platform for a custom 1911. I ran into my old friend Larry Weishuhnd late this afternoon at the Streamlight booth, and I'm going to spend some time with him tomorrow so he can show me his Signature Series Thompson/Center Encore package.


One surprise was as I wandered past the Colt booth and saw my old friend Wiley Clapp perched behind a table with one gun on it. The gun was a Colt "21st Century Commander," a Talo exclusive spec'ed by Wiley (who, yes, is one of the most knowledgeable 1911 guys on earth). The gun is a Series '70 action (no nitwit firing pin safety) lightweight Commander, "original" style — small safety, slide lock, mag catch; no ambi safety to get clicked off on holstering. Beautiful 25 lpi front strap checkering from Pete Single, a great set of Novak sights with Wiley's "Old Geezer" wider rear notch and a gold bead front, flat S&A mainspring housing and one of the neatest set of grips, called "Tactical Oval," that I've ever seen.

Damn, this is a nice 1911! I told Wiley that more than anything it reminded me of Col. Jeff Cooper's carry gun of choice, a lightweight Commander with S&W revolver sights, and he agreed — except that the Novaks are better sights. Wayne Novak, who was also standing there, agreed with that sentiment! At $1379 MSRP, this is a gun worth owning. Nicely done, Wiley! Sigh, I so don't need more 1911s...maybe if I take a deep breath and put my head between my knees...

...okay, so I did buy a gun today, that Featherlight Ithaca 20-gauge vent-rib pump shotgun I've been mooning over...I just couldn't go on without it...really.


I'm going to do some sporting clays lessons later this summer, and this is the gun I want to use. The action is just amazingly smooth, and the gun practically floats in your hands...

I have more time tomorrow to walk the floor...maybe I should leave the credit cards at home...

10 comments:

Dock said...

I got a chance to lay hands on that Remington R1 (since the Big Green Booth was not that far from your booth) and it did, indeed, feel like an old friend. Trigger was nice too, and you can't really argue with the price point. The sights are very visible, dots about the same size as my M&P. And the rollmarks aren't as obnoxious when you see them for yourself - or at least, I thought so.

Thanks for the advice - I'll let my mom know which rifle you picked for her. Too bad they don't have a .327 Federal lever gun yet. That and a .327 wheelgun would let her practice with all that .32 S&W long I got her for her Smith. (I can just SEE the wheels turning in your head...)

I hope you had an incident free evening, and it was really great to talk to you in person. I'll see you tomorrow at the OC booth - I hope you have some copies of Trail Safe!

- Dock

Bill Lester said...

With respect to the 1911R1, has Remington officially said where the frame and other parts are manufactured? Is Ilion just the assembly point or does everything come from there?

Also, how about MIM?

Anonymous said...

I am quite happy with my 38 Spl LCR. The 357 does nothing for me.

If Ruger really wants to make a splash they should upsize the LCR just enough to make a five shot 44 Spl. THAT I could get excited about.

KM200 said...

at $699 MSRP, a keeper and a steal for a platform for a custom 1911

The Taurus is cheaper and would need less frame work wouldn't it?
I like the idea of the lightweight commander...but not at that price.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous fellow above said:

If Ruger really wants to make a splash they should upsize the LCR just enough to make a five shot 44 Spl. THAT I could get excited about.

I heard that!

nj_larry said...

It was great to run into you at the annual meeting. I was the guy you shook hands with at the Goliath safe (never get off the boat)!

Besides the gun experience at the show, the political speakers were superb. Just a reminder that most of these should be up on the NRA website for viewing soon.

Was quite surprised to both see at several booths and get very positive comments on the Savage 338 Lapua tactical gun. What a honey ... and affordable.

Unknown said...

In addition, you will bghviyr make a massive evaluation together with some other Oakley Sunglasses Cheap coming from some other spectacles Half X Oakley online retailer. You may edge Oakley Sunglasses Discount a whole lot coming from spectacles online retailer. In Sale Oakley Sunglasses, the particular shape just isn't the Oakley Jawbone key portion. each of which provides individual rewards or perhaps attributes. And also Oakley Stpl Jawbone fruit associates can easily specifically improve distinction inside overcast, hazy and also Half X low-light ailments. Once you've received the particular prescribed, it is possible to head to look for for almost any best Oakley Sunglasses Outlet.

roger vivier said...

Soldes sur les chaussures couture. Envie d'une paire de chaussures haute des splendides modèles Roger Vivier crees pour Christian Dior Haute Couture Roger Vivier .Christian Louboutin a rejoint la filiale legendaire Dior "Roger Vivier de fournir? un professionnel pour faire des chaussures vivier shoes . If you can't get the preotwuq back of those Roger Vivier at least on the premise that wearing roger vivier chaussures resulted in less roger vivier heels .La paire de sandales ? show off ? de la collection de chaussures Roger Vivier printemps ete 2011. Munie dun talon aiguille vxzcvbaa ,elle resplendit.On peut, par exemple, trouver des soldes chaussures sur des Converse chez ASOS roger vivier chaussures , des Puma chez Yoox ou Roger Vivier chez MyTheresa. Roger vivier helps you cathch the fashion styla and athletes from around the same high school,wholesale roger vivier chaussures shoes. Art de chaussure. Roger Vivier, bottier styliste, a habille les pieds les plus celebres, de Brigitte bardot a la reine angleterre.

muebles en rivas said...

Thanks for the post, pretty helpful data.

outlet muebles madrid said...

For my part everyone ought to glance at it.