Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Note To Self...

...it turns out that if you let your iPhone get soaked when you're out on the range all day in the rain, it doesn't work, like, 100% anymore. If Steve Jobs were still alive, stuff like this wouldn't happen. Oh well, it sorta works...if you have my number and need to contact me, send a text. At least until I can get an iPhone 5, whenever that is.

I ended up doing more shooting today than I intended to do, falling back on one of my two Ruger SR-9s, which have been workhorses over the years. I shoot them; they work. I take them apart every so often and hose them out...they just keeps running. I would like Novak sights, but I always forget about that when I put the guns back in the safe. Today I was just lazy and carried the SR-9 in a Galco Yaqui slide, which, untruth, works totally fine and may be the most versatile holster on earth. I don't like slides for a gun the size of the SR-9 (say, Glock 19-ish) if I'm going to be sitting down a lot for fear of bumping the barrel and pushing the gun partially out of the holster, but there was no problem driving around today.

I talk a lot tomorrow on the podcast about my first impressions of the Sig Sauer P938, which was overwhelmingly positive. I would like to have all the edges knocked off, a la the Kimber Solo, and I'm hoping that Crimson Trace cooks up a natty set of LaserGrips like the ones for the Solo. Obviously, I haven't shot the 938 nearly as much as the Solo, but so far I'm very impressed.

BTW, speaking of mega-cheap home security, I hauled out an old 20 gauge Remington 870 that I bought for $100 from a gun store going out of business about a decade ago. I added a Nordic Components tube I'd picked up cheap and a set of discounted plastic furniture...took it to the range Sunday just to try it out. What a great little gun! Be super for home defense, especially for a smaller-framed person. Yeah, I'm not going to replace my own 12 gauge 870, but it's a nice little gun for even less than one would pay for a new Mossberg 500.


11 comments:

Ti Craft said...

Dude,
LoKSak. Just sayin'

Tim

kmitch200 said...

At least until I can get an iPhone 5

This is a sickness that you need helpful therapy with. You need the newest release because the old one went tits up - when they will give you a free replacement??
The first step is admitting there is a problem...

Dan said...

Is the Solo ready for prime time yet? I've read conflicting reviews.

Anonymous said...

After you get your new phone, spend the money on Liquipel treatment. Nano coating applied that makes the electronics waterproof for life.

http://www.liquipel.com/

Anonymous said...

Normally, I am not a grammar nazi but, "Today I was just lazy and carried the SR-9 in a Galco Yaqui slide, which, untruth, works totally fine"
Is that "in truth"?
Does make a difference. ;-)
C.

Anonymous said...

... or a zip-lock poly bag for portable electronics. Have one for my R-U-Ready timer for IPSC matches in the rain...

RSR

Ben said...

I'd like to put Novak sights on my SR9c, but their website only lists the rear sight (in fiber optic or tritium) as being available. I emailed them and apparently that is all they make for the SR9. Can you please convice Wayne to make a full set? I'd love to get the fiber front and black rear.

Wallaby Jack said...

If "smart phones" are so "smart", why do they sell so many replacement screens for them ?

.... or is that just an Australian phenomon ??

Anonymous said...

LifeProof case. Mine has been inadvertently in the ocean, through a washing machine and bounced around many hours in and on dusty equipment. Best $40 accessory yet.

E. J.

John Richardson said...

I would like to second what "Unknown" said about convincing Wayne Novak to make black rear sights for the SR-9.

Rem870 said...

$100 for a Remington 870? Good deal! What furniture have you bought for your shotgun?