Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Usual Fun Weekend

Spent yesterday shooting a cowboy match up in Ft. Collins. No scores yet, but I did well. This was a 5th Saturday match, so more prone to weirdness in stage design...which is fun. Once again, am running a little slower, but am dreadfully consistent. In October, I'm going to focus on speed. Interestingly enough, my Sweetie and I will be shooting a 3-Gun match next weekend, the kind with ARs instead of lever action rifles. Should be interesting, and different.

John Richardson (and many others) are at the Gun Rights Policy Conference in Orlando...am looking forward to his reports. I'm glad to see how much the industry has adopted the Gun Culture Ver. 2.0 meme. Just a quick note — I've been credited with pointing out the birth of Ver. 2.0; more correctly, Paul Erhardt and I made the initial observations.

I've been rounding up magazines for the Sig Sauer P938, which is harder than one might think. I bought the only one at Midway, then a couple of more from Sig's online store. A bit pricey, that. I want to shoot the little 9mm in a IDPA Back-up Gun match (the 3-inch barrel is easily under the IDPA 3.8 inch requirement). Am also waiting for extra Taurus "Slim" mags. Have actually been carrying the "Slim" with a CT laser in a Simply Rugged Cuda holster (the same design holster I use for my knockaround Ruger SR22 pistol. I'm pretty much convinced that the mini-9mms are a real breakthrough in concealed carry...yes, they are harder to shoot than both their slightly smaller .380 brethren (from which they sprang) and their slightly larger "compact" sized cousins, but the more I carry them, the more I like them as carry guns. I'm planning on filming my second Panteao Productions "Make Ready With" concealed carry video in March of next year, and the mini-9s will play a big role.

Interestingly enough, I have a Charter Arms 9mm snub on the way for T&E. I've shot the .40 S&W version, but am much more interested in the little 9mm. Shame it doesn't come in red and black...

There's an on-going battle at the University of Colorado in Boulder on CCW for students. You can get a good idea of the shape of the battle from this article in the local dead tree media. A part of me wanted to gear up for an expedition to Boulder to attend Brady shill and professional "victim" Colin Goddard's talk on campus just to ask him how he lives with himself.

I note that Brother Ted has a new series coming on the Discovery Channel. I also hear that several other gun shows are in the works on networks other than the one for which I labor.

Next week is an AR build week. We'll be putting together the .22 LR tackdriver based on the Spike's Tactical Lothar Walther-barreled upper and the JP custom lower (probably MagPul or ACE furniture). Hopefully, we'll also build the ultralight breakdown on the ATI Omni polymer lower and the TAC2 Discreet Carry Kit. Upper is still undecided, although I have a Stag here. Both of these builds will be filmed for SHOOTING GALLERY and our still-hidden-in-the-box Internet project. The suppressed Ruger Charger, sort of a crash tutorial in overhauled the 10/22, which is so easy to overhaul that even I can do it, is also on the menu.

Well, a long blogpost is a good excuse not to address the wreckage in both my office and the gun room, the consequences of too much travel...I suppose I'd better at least try to clean up one or the other!

9 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

"Interestingly enough, I have a Charter Arms 9mm snub on the way for T&E."

Given the extra fiddly bits necessary to make a semi-auto pistol round function in a revolver, and given all the revolver cartridge in existence, I just have to ask why why why.

Chas S. Clifton said...

"revolver cartridges" plural ...

DamDoc said...


Massad gets it...

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/09/19/the-despair-of-the-one-issue-voter/

Michael Bane said...

curiosity...

mb

Michael Bane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Exurbankevin said...

Given the extra fiddly bits necessary to make a semi-auto pistol round function in a revolver, and given all the revolver cartridge in existence, I just have to ask why why why.

Off the top of my head...

1. Thinness. A mini 9mm carries flatter and easier than even the thinnest revolver.

2. Common manual of arms. The Shield I carry works essentially the same as the CZ P07 I shoot in IPDA.

3. Reliable... enough. 2000 rounds between failures is the new standard for semi-autos, and l'm currently testing the Shield to see if it makes the grade.

Nothing wrong with snubbies: They're great guns and will ALWAYS be around, but as the standard for police pistols moves away from revolvers towards autoloaders, it only makes sense that the standard for "civilian" carry moves in that direction as well.

Overload in Colorado said...

Wouldn't a breakdown AR be easier with a piston gun than a DI gun? How much smaller is a breakdown AR than a folding stock AR (Robarm, Sig, Para) or a pistol AR?

Michael Bane said...

A pistol AR is definitely the smallest package, but without a stock, which makes it ideal in a vehicle, less so if the distance stretches out past, say, 50 yards. I'd be 100% on a SBR, but that brings a whole new layer of potential restrictions.

I'll go measure the Para I've got in the safe and see...I suspect it'll be about 26 inches. The idea of a briefcase gun is one that you can keep in its briefcase, throw it in the car when you travel or lock it up and check it on a plane.

I started on this briefcase process when Gene Pearcey, AKA "Evil Roy," who does indeed own his own plane, told me about the breakdown AR he used to replace his lever action breakdown .308 that had been his carry everywhere gun. He loves his, and it got me looking at the options...

mb

Overload in Colorado said...

You have an Para TTR? I'm looking at picking one up now that they're at sane/closeout prices. Would you recommend it? I want one as I like the idea of an AR with a folding stock.