Thursday, April 20, 2006

SIDEWAYS Redux

...as an homage to the movie, I'm refusing to drink merlot. I also went out today and tried to buy a broadband air-card for my laptop, but, as I said yesterday, wine good...internet bad. In an effort to raise the level of discourse on my blog, I thought I'd talk wine.

FAVORITE WINERY SO FAR: Imagery...wonderful cabernet; great art gallery of art commisioned for labels. Good taste is timeless.

MOST FUN AT A WINERY: B. R. Cohn, who, in addition to making a spectacular cab has managed the Doobie Brother for, like, forever. Bruce Cohn's brother Mark, who used to do A/R at Warner Brothers Records back in the 1970s, was at the winery when we visited. As you know (don't you?) I began my haphazard career writing for the likes f Rolling Stone in the mid-1970s, hanging around CBGBs and saying things like, "I'm with the band." Mark and I got to spend a lot of time talking about the old rock 'n' roll days, comparing stories of wretched excess and running down the list of, "Do you remember so-and-so?" Big fun; great wine. Long train running...

COOLEST WINE TOUR: Benziger Family Winery, hands down. Organic wine; really nice chardonnay...yeah yeah. so what? I like white wine; I also like revolvers. So sue me.

All in all, I feel weird not working...it has been a long haul. By the way and off the record, Robin Berg and I are putting togther yet another gun show, which is going to ROCK if we can get The Outdoor Channel to buy it. I feel pretty good about it, but it'll be a month or so we're there. You'll read about it here first.

Snuffy, I'm thinking that 70-yard shots with any snubby has a lot of luck factored in! I like the Charter Bulldog as a good tonic for those pesky kitty cats in my neighborhood...light, easy to carry, and with 200-gr Winchester SilverTips a decisive end for Ms. Kitty's dinner plans. I'm also liking the great Bond Arms Derringer in .45/.410, with two Winchester .410 buckshot cartridges in place...that's 10 .30-caliber pellets against a soft-skinned animal (lots of treed cats have been taken with .22 long rifle). That oughta do it! And darned easy to carry as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in Western North Carolina, you should visit the Biltmore Estate. It is the largest private residence in America, and also has a first-class winery. Their Cardinal's Crest is good for reds, and the Johanessburg Riesling is as good as it gets. Oh, and I like revolvers, too.

Anonymous said...

Make sure you take home some Carneros wines. Some of the best chardonnay in the area. Buena Vista is a great old winery to tour also.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bane, you are a mac user, if I recall correctly. Check out this site for some help regarding wireless cards for Mac's:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/

doc