Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Evening...

I'm cooking Italian tonight, since we haven't had pasta in, honestly, a year. I thought spinach lasagna sounded good. Nothing too elaborate, but something that goes well with Ravenswood Old Vine Zinfindel. One of the best wine-tastings I've ever had was the old vine vintages at Ravenswood, and I love it with marinara sauce.

My Sweetie and I got out to shoot a cowboy match  on Saturday, and Boy Howdie, was it fun! I'd forgotten how much I love to shoot cowboy. I was shooting an 1866  Taylor's Uberti Carbine rebuilt to .44 Russian, and I used Russians in my 2 Long Hunter Blackhawks until I ran out it and fell back on some .44 Specials I luckily had with me. I tanked the last stage and ended up 7th instead of 4th; my Sweetie came in right behind me at 9th after her tanking the same stage. She only did it to make me feel better...LOL!


BTW, the '66 was redone by a great local gunsmith, Badger, who added the carrier mod to the Uberti carbine. The carbine requires some finesse running it, as opposed to my Ken Griner 1973, which is all about blunt trauma.

You know, I really liked shooting the Russians, big old fat bullet rolling down the barrel. I think I'm going to spend some more time messing around with the cartridge. I did work up some loads with Trail Boss powder and a heavy bullet, but I was thinking of trying Red Dot, which is what I use in my cowboy .357s since the first reloading component crisis back in 2008. I couldn't get Bullseye, TiteGroup or Unique, so I had to figure out what I could get (Red Dot). I've been very happy with it since...light, clean, painless.

BTW, to all the people who hate me and take the time to send threatening emails, you're going to have to try harder. Simply cursing me and then including a list of Snowplow Bloomberg talking points just isn't going to do it. Use your imaginations, people!

Also BTW, IWI tells me that my Tavor is in route...I'm so excited!

18 comments:

DamDoc said...

Sorry that sno plows robots are bugging you. doubt they would get by the front door!.. interestinn oped from my governor in the wsj... Beretta, Colt and Magpul: Come to Maine

http://on.wsj.com/ZS3hNS

_DonWorsham_ said...

Pork Chops, asparagus, sweet corn on the cob. I win!

_DonWorsham_

Unknown said...

I hate you too, Michael, but only because you're getting a Tavor.

Trevor Shepherd said...

I really like pork chops and asparagus, and corn done on the grill (not boiled) is my favorite. Sorry, Michael, but unlike Popeye, I do not do spinach.

The 44 Russian is an intriguing cartridge. The 44 Special is too. Wish there was more of both available, but the 44 is so much a reloaders cartridge.

Joe said...

Truth is treason when a nation is fueled on lies. I'm sorry you are receiving some ill will. I'm afraid that closed minds too often come with open mouths. Their first amendment rights are as valid as our 2nd amendment right. That's it; I'm out of cliches. The suck, you don't. Carry on!

Anonymous said...

We love you in Kentucky!

Kevin said...

_DonWorsham_ said...
Pork Chops, asparagus, sweet corn on the cob. I win!

_DonWorsham_

Wow Don that is wild had the exact thing Friday night to the corn/asp.!The Chops were pan fried shoulder cuts(like alittle extra fat/flavor)in a batter called Kentucky Kernal.The Wife really liked the chops.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michael Bane for being an excellent spokesman for the firearms sports & industry and for supporting the 2nd Amend.

kmitch200 said...

Well Michael, if you really want us to threaten you we could promise to go medieval on your buttocks.

The stupid mail you're getting is a sign that obvious, indisputable FACTS are killing their arguments.
Good job!! :)

"gunner" said...

it's been a long time since i last shot .44 russian, and that was in a top break smith & wesson. i liked it, low recoil and accurate, a pleasure to shoot. good to see some folks still appreciate it, and shoot it.

Big Walley said...

Come on down to Mississippi for some good ol' fried fixins'!

Jerry from upstate new york said...

Try taking a brownie pan fill it 3/4 up with real 7up not
Diet then put pork chops (thick no bone) in and cover in garlic salt. Bake at 350 until done then broil for a few
Minutes to carmlize the sugar from the 7up on the top of the chops.

Jack said...

Got an old Belgian Frontier Army revolver in .44 Russian. Shot it with loads my Dad did in the 30s!

RParker said...

I've always had a hankering for an S&W Model 3 Russian. I'm not a huge revolver guy but there's just something that's much more elegant about a top break revolver. The Uberti/Cimarron versions are nice but for some reason they've become pretty scarce. I even went directly to Cactus Jack's in Fredericksburg and all they could do was shrug their shoulders.

The prospect of having to shell out for or even reload 45 Colt or 44 Russian is a bit daunting in these days of ammo and component scarcity. I'm already loaded up for the long haul to reload 45 ACP, so to be honest I would really prefer that Model 3 Russian to be 45 caliber and have a cylinder cut to take 45 ACP on moon clips. Yeah, I know, "why don't you just get yourself a Mk VI Webley already cut for 45ACP?" The honest answer? It ain't a Smith & Wesson and it doesn't have that nifty finger rest trigger guard.

Michael Bane said...

My understanding is that the Italians only run the S&W Model 3 clones sporadically. I have a pair of the short-barreled ones in .44 Russian (although strangely enough, they're both marked ".44 Special," I got a few years back. My friends at Taylor's told me when they got a couple in and I jumped to get them. You saw them in the GUN STORIES S&W top-breaks, in super-slow motion.

I believe Brother Jeff Quinn had one of the rare S&W new manufacture converted to .45 ACP. Read about it here, and it'll break your heart:

http://www.gunblast.com/TK-Schofield.htm

mb

Motor-T said...

People hate you?
Good. That means you stood up for something.
Those same people just don't know me well enough or they'd hate me too.

Unknown said...

Sorry the dummies are harassing you. A well thought out discussion is much more entertaining.

Btw: both of my NC senators, (D) & (R) voted to allow gun control to go to the senate floor for debate. This after I called both daily for two weeks. How disappointing!!

btw2: Great podcast, it keeps me motivated.

jmkcolorado said...

Sending you some "love" from right down the canyon from you in city of boulder.

you're an inspiration - thank you.