Sunday, August 09, 2009

Perfect Autumn Day...


...in the High Country, except of course that it's supposed to be high summer. All of us up here are bracing for a winter September and October.

Last night my Sweetie and I watched The Man Who Came to Dinner, Monty Woolley's tour de farce, and we both laughed long and loud. I haven't seen the original since film school, so I had forgotten Ann Sheridan's 'way sheer blouse (good lord, I must be getting old!). I also forgot Jimmy Durante's drop-dead line to the hapless nurse Nurse Preen:

"Meet me in my room in a half-hour...bring a loaf of rye bread!"

This just proves that generations of lousy high school drama clubs can't destroy a great script. I've also been rereading the Doc O'Meara book Guns of the Gunfighters: Lawmen, Outlaws & Hollywood Cowboys, doing some research for next season's COWBOYS.


If you haven't read it, you definitely should...great information and great photos. And you'll be seeing some of these famous guns in next season's shows!

I've put it off long enough....gotta go clean guns and run the Dillon 650, which means I will so be bleeding and shouting...or is that shouting and bleeding?

5 comments:

Dave S. said...

My sweetie and I also watched it last night. Never heard of the film, and it's without a doubt the funniest classic flick we've ever seen. None of the humor is at all dated - it's very fresh and funny.

Ann Sheridan was babe-tastic. She was definitely not wearing a bra, and that set was very definitely chilly. Rowr!

DonWorsham said...

This is another good one...

http://www.amazon.com/Gunfighters-Outlaws-Weapons-Chris-McNab/dp/1592235077/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1249851500&sr=8-6

DonWorsham said...

And another....

http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Whispering-Ghosts-Jesse-Hardin/dp/0972638326/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249863133&sr=8-1

Matthew Carberry said...

http://www.amazon.com/Written-Lead-Notorious-Gunfights-Revolutionary/dp/0815412894

Less on the guns, but an enjoyable read.

Anonymous said...

Again, Michael, please don't turn this issue or issues you are having with the Dillon 650 reloading press into the incident you had with your safe and that manufacturer's crappy customer service.

This is where you need to go:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

If that doesn't work for you, then there is always Dillon's NO BS lifetime warranty. I think you can also send them your press and they will do a tune up on it. It might cost all of $40, tops.