Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Firearms' Conundrum

So I decided today to put a low power scope on my Ruger No. 1 45/70 I plan to take hunting in a SHOOTING GALLERY episode later this year. Seems simple enough, right?

Ha! Maybe it's just me, but it ended up a day-long try this/no that fiasco. The issue is that, first, Ruger #1s have their Ruger proprietary scope mounts pretty far forward on the rail that carries the rear sight. That means the scopes end up mounted more forward than they would be in regular set-up. That necessitates some long eye relief for the scope.

Second, this is a falling block single shot rifle. If the scope projects too far back over the falling block, it makes reloading quickly pretty difficult.

I ran through a bunch of my scopes, and the only one that had sufficient eye relief was an old Weaver 3X, and I've never been crazy about that scope.

So I decided to think a little bit out of the (eye) box. I had one of the E. Arthur Brown slip-over scope mounts for the #1, and I was surprised at how well it seemed to be made. So I tapped out the Ruger folding rear sight and fitted the EABCO rail, which gave me a few more mount options.

Then I pulled the Burris 2-7X Scout Scope off the Browning BLR .223 Scout and fiddled it onto the Ruger #1 in a set of Burris low rings. It is a close fit, but by mounting it as as far forward as I can on the EABCO rail and scooting my cheek just a bit farther back on the stock, I have a great sight picture and 2-7X! An added benefit is that the eyepiece is ahead of falling block, causing no problems for reloading at speed.

What I don't know is how well it works. It was raining all day (again) at the Bunker, and I didn't have a chance to bench the gun. I plan to use Hornady Leverevolution .325-gr 45/70s. If you look at the drops on this load, I'd call it a 250-yard best-case round. If I felt lucky and had a great rest, I might be persuaded to go a teeny tiny farther. I've had good luck with the 325-gr Leverevolution round through several guns.

As always, Andy's Leather will be providing the sling and the ammo cuff!

I got Steve Hunter's new book, I, Ripper, today. I CAN'T WAIT to read it! I plan on "ripping" through it next week, with a full report on DRTV and the podcast to follow. My Sweetie and I took the "Ripper" tour last time we were in London. It was cool.

BTW, the AR15news.com Fourth of July t-shirts are once again available! They read:
“We celebrate the 4th of July as a reminder of earning our independence from an oppressive government. Our current Administration should take note, there’s still room on the calendar for another Holiday.“
Hell yes. Buy one and amaze your friends! It's the perfect gift.

I'm teaching on the range tomorrow…all newbies. My Sweetie and my good friend Mark Passamaneck will be teaching as well. Should go very well. Hopefully, in the afternoon, I'll have a chance to dial in a couple of rifles. I swear in the next few weeks I'm going to shift to my Glock 34 and get a handle on running that gun.

TOTALLY OFF THE SUBJECT, and out in the pale if the emails I got today are to be believed, there's a wonderful piece in the Wall Street Journal on the creation of Bob Seger's song Night Moves, the song that made him a star. Gotta say that, more than once, now that I'm an Official Old Guy, that the lyrics do cross my mind:

"I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in…"

1 comment:

Moosejaw said...

"A Firearms' Conundrum"???

Oh....right ....on D-Day....the little rubber thing they slipped over the muzzles of their Garands....right...seen it in a movie once. ; )~