Saturday, May 09, 2015

A Small Part of the "Problem Population" Yawns, Then Speaks

Yep, we old white males (should I capitalize that: Old White Males. OWMs?) are almost as much a problem as young white males. I haven't decided how much of a problem I'm likely to be because it's early yet. I'm working on it, though.

I assume you're keeping up with the breathtaking attacks on the First Amendment from not just the usual progressive fascists and their fellow travelers in the MSM  but mainstream "conservatives" as well. You guys know where I stand here, so I'll avoid going on on a rant. But I would like to note how quickly the masks come off.

We've seen this disease so very much on Second Amendment issues, all those "committed" conservatives who are with us right up until they aren't (Paging John McCain!). Of course, those opponents of liberty will claim they're more "nuanced" than we poor benighted souls who think the Constitution actually means what it says.


Of course it's my fervent hope that these more nuanced beings eventually get their own stamp, like the one above the British SOE in WW2 tinkered up for Vidkun Quisling, who sold out Norway to the Nazis, ended up in front of a firing squad and had his name become synonymous with people like John McCain, the New York Times and the entire Democratic Party.

There's another aspect that I hadn't considered, outlined by science fiction author Sarah Hoyt:
 But people who are distancing themselves from Gellar in a hurry aren’t acting like they’re afraid of death: afraid of being blown up or shot or stabbed as so many people who spoke up against the religion of “peace” have been. No. They’re afraid of losing public face. Their “distancing from Geller” is not because they’re afraid the Jihadis will show up at their door, or stab then during their morning bicycling, no. They’re afraid their friends and neighbors will think they’re anti-Islamic which has been declared by those who command the heights of the culture to be bad. More so, they’re afraid their BOSSES will think they’re anti-Islamic or “hateful” (since the left is now determined to tell us “hate speech” which is ALWAYS defined by those in power over the culture “isn’t protected.” [Which is a lie. The protection of speech is ONLY needed for speech others hate. Otherwise, no need. No one has ever been told they can’t say they love mom and apple pie.]) and their career/employment/chances at recognition in their specialty will be over.
Ms. Hoyt's piece reminded my that these is a Robert Heinlein quote for every eventuality. Here's an apt one, from REVOLT IN 2100, a collection of stories that had a profound effect on Michael the Teenager:

"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed."

AN UPDATE DEFINITELY WORTH READING

From David French at NRO:
I don’t know Pamela Geller, and I certainly don’t know her heart, but it’s simply bizarre that so few of the tens of thousands of words decrying her “hatred” have actually examined the actions of the jihadists she opposes. Isn’t genocide worth hating? Isn’t the systematic oppression of women? The selling of children into slavery? And in our hatred, we are in good company. As the writer of Proverbs states, there are “six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him” among those “abominations” are “hands that shed innocent blood.” Those are jihadist hands — hands even God hates.
Please, read the whole thing!

It's been raining for the last week here at the Bunker, good for the plants and the new apple trees, not so good for my idea of running my FAL at the Appleseed next week. I had hoped to get a DS Arms free-float tube in time to instal and debug…the FAL as issued features a sling swivel on the barrel…sling it up and you shift the point of impact pretty significantly, if my quickie wet test was any indication. So far, nothing has turned up in my mailbox, but I've still got a week.

I'm not actually rolling in 7.62 ammo, although I just ordered 500 additional rounds of ball. I may play around with the Tavor over the next couple of days and see if it's a possible replacement. Be fun to shoot it!

10 comments:

Overload in Colorado said...

7.62x51mm at an Appleseed, but not from an M1A? Fred will be disappointed with you.
I'm interested in hearing how the additional weight of the FAL vs an AR affects your day: from standing position to overall fatigue.

Anonymous said...

You will need that tube, and may also need to install a sling stud midway underneath. Tension the truss rods evenly and it should work okay.

A top cover would be nice to install, due to the open piston tube design, but you won't have time before the appleseed. Scope highly recommended. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Pamela Gellar did what most pussy-men and "regular girls" cannot bring themselves to do: she gave the bully a poke! The bully was awakened and came to, well bully. He was met with resistance and was defeated. This strategy works in the schoolyard and on the battlefield. You cannot win a fight by remaining defensive. You MUST go on the offense!

Kick the bully again!

Life Member

Anonymous said...

And I must point out the obvious, Gellar's words smoked out the enemy and proved to all of us for the umpteenth time, THEY ARE HERE AND THEY ARE COMING FOR US.

Thankfully that 60 year old Garland Texas copper has practiced his shooting skills as if his life depends upon it.

Lastly, do you carry enough ammunition with you. Just sayin.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, ohhh, Michael the Teenager read Heinlein. Most excellent!

At 60 and with a little more time on my hands, I have started reading Heinlein again, and Bradbury. Jeez, it scares the s#/t out of me.

Michael Bane said...

I was once asked in an interview who were the 3 biggest influences on me as a writer. I answered Mark Twain, Robert Heinlein, and Col. Jeff Cooper. Color the interviewer puzzled.

I've always thought the genesis of my haphazard "career" was Heinlein's "We Also Walk Dogs." Certainly the phrase "Specialization is for insects" figured prominently in my professional career.

Overload, I always thought the FAL balanced pretty well as compared to the M1A…I don't know how that will work out with a heavier handguard.

If I can't get the forend in time, I may shift gears and shoot an AR 5.56, specifically the DoubleStar CCC ultralite carbine, which right now has a Burris AR-1X dot sight on it. Be kinda cool to see how the ultra light pencil barreled carbine works!

mb

Overload in Colorado said...

I'd like to see how the C3 does! With the pendulum swinging back towards light weight ARs, I wonder if there's a Too Light AR? A weight where recoil starts becoming a factor, aiming harder for long range, and parts being stressed and battered too much.

My lightweight AR is under 7 pounds with everything installed, and I'd like to put a bunch of rounds through it, but don't want to use it up.

nj larry said...

Like to see ya do AS with some vintage gear. How about an iconic Finnish M39 ? How cool would a Simo Hayha shoot be ?

Anonymous said...

Twain, most excellent! Much of what he's written is available free on the iTunes Store. Right now I'm reading Following The Equator.

His writing is colorful and descriptive. Because of TV and radio and the speed of our modern life, nobody writes like Clements any more. He literally paints a picture with words. I frequently find myself rereading paragraphs because of Clement's intricate wordsmithery.

Cooper, Twain, Heinlein. Damn.

Anonymous said...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

from RSR